Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Windows not booting

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 debin

debin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

I have a weird problem with Combo Fix and what it has left me with. I had used the software sometime ago and it worked ok. However the recent download of this software has caused the computer to go down.

The problem i have is you get the adaptor screen of Fujitsu loading with FR2 Bios Setup bottom left corner and F12 Boot Menu.
It goes through this process which is normal, but then goes to a screen troubleshooting and advance start up options Press F8.
It then goes to seconds until windows starts. It does not start and goes back to the Fujitsu page to repeat the process all the time. It will not boot either from the CD rom or the HD. I can get into the bios no problems there but safe mode is not accessible . Pressing F8 once or hundred times only leaves the PC to hang.
It seems as though it is caught in a cycle that it cannot get out of.

I cannot even use the windows disc and press repair as it comes up with something about the keyboard and then goes back to the above so i am unable to repair my system. Could this be the boot sector a fault there?
Another problem i have at the moment is that i downloaded a flash for the bios but cannot install it as the Floppy Disc is not working. It makes no difference what i assign as the first device to boot it just keeps cycling through what is mentioned above.
Is there any other way of a work around these problems. The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Scenic L D1219 i815e

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

I cannot even use the windows disc and press repair as it comes up with something about the keyboard

Please post the exact message ... because I think you are going to need to use the XP installation CD, and boot from it.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

System will not reboot from CD.
Once the adaptor scan has finished on initial start up i press F12 this then opens a box called Boot menu. in that box you have as follows. 1. CD-Rom Drive 2.+Diskette 4.Legacy Lan Card. Set Up. at the bottom you have up and down arrows to select. and your enter to confirm.

If i select CD -Rom drive here it does nothing just goes to re boot and then you get the seconds until windows starts and then it goes back to the adaptor scan and will continue in this cycle.

If i go to set up in Boot menu the Phoenix Bios setup utility opens. If i go to Boot Options the boot sequence opens. In the boot sequence are as follows.
CD-Rom Drive +Diskette +Hard Drive Legacy Lan Card. By pressing space you can select which ever device to boot from.

Something happened today when Hard Drive was selected and changes saved system restarted. Upon pressing F8 a number of times a message displayed saying Operating System not found.
Restarted PC Again and then selected CD-Rom drive as the booting device but the CD will not boot at all. The CD Rom drive on start up spins up and is working but it will not load the Windows O/S disc.

As for the keyboard message i cannot seem to get that far to get that error message.
Thank you for your reply

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

The CD Rom drive on start up spins up and is working but it will not load the Windows O/S disc.

It seems as though the CD-ROM drive is having trouble reading the CD for some reason (this is a common issue).
Can you test this on another computer? Will the XP CD boot on another computer? Try carefully cleaning the disk if it is dirty. Is it an original Windows XP CD and not a copy?
Can you temporarily exchange this CD-ROM drive with another that is known to boot to the Windows XP CD? Can you try another boot disk &/or XP CD?
Have you ever/recently booted to a CD with this computer?
Is it possible that there is a security feature on this system preventing bootup using a CD? (I was browsing the manuals earlier, and noticed a number of security features which I thought at the time, might make your situation difficult).
---------------------------

You could try burning yourself another boot CD, the XP Recovery Console, and see if you can get that to work. Use the following set of instructions (canned speech). If you can get into the Recovery Console ... using whatever disk, then please perform the chkdsk /r scan and repair as instructed below.

RECOVERY CONSOLE - CHKDSK /R .... XP

Access the Recovery Console by booting from the Windows XP installation CD.

If you don't have a Windows XP installation CD, you can download a version of the XP Recovery Console and burn it to CD.

Download the XP Recovery Console (an ISO file):

Either here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/boot.../xp_rec_con.zip

OR here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

How to burn/write a CD-DVD image (ISO file):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Once you have burned the .iso file to a CD, the CD is then "bootable".
-----------
Check whether your system will boot from a CD:
Press the ON button, insert the bootable CD in the optical drive, and then restart the system. You may have to "press any key to boot from CD" when prompted. Does your system boot from the CD? If not, then follow the steps below.

The system will only boot from an optical drive (CD or DVD) if the boot options in BIOS direct it to do so. Change the boot options in BIOS if necessary, so that the system boots from the optical drive (after having inserted the CD)...and reboot the system. You will then have access to the Recovery Console.

How to check and/or change the boot options in BIOS ...

To access the Motherboard BIOS Setup Menu:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Your BIOS Setup Menu will look and work something like this:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom
--------------------------------

CHECK DISK .... from RECOVERY CONSOLE

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console:
http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Type the command chkdsk /r (with a space before the /) and press ENTER key.
There are 5 stages. This might take some time to complete.
The system will attempt to re-start normally.

Does your computer start normally now?

(If errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.)
-----------

Please elaborate on the keyboard and mouse that you are using. Are you using USB connection or PS2 connection? Is there anything special about them? Do you have others that you can swap, to replace them, to see if it makes any difference to your startup/booting off CD?
It is always best when trouble-shooting to NOT use USB connected peripherals.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Still no go

I have tried at least three different CD drives cd rom and CD/DVD drives still get the same problem.

All Cd roms used were set to masters. The first screen loads for boot up device and cd rom drive is shown as before as 1st drive and HD as 2nd drive. CD Rom drive was set as primary boot but then pc still cycles through the same. Fujitsu adaptor scan and then seconds until windows starts and then back to the start of the Fujitsu adaptor scan screen.

I have checked all cables pulled the cables from the board rerseated them, disconnected the hard drive re connected that and have also taken the ram sticks out and reseated them all still having the same problem.

Removed the Bios Battery put that back still getting the same problem.

The Windows O/S disc is an original and not a copy and the disc is in good condition. Tried the ISO download of the recovery disc but this too does nothing.

All disc drives will spin up but then it goes to seconds until windows starts and then back to the adaptor scan.

Also if anyone has a similar PC and wants to get into the Bios press F12 as soon as it says adaptor scan.

F8 is useless does not allow me to even get into safe mode.

Those are the things i have done thus far.
But thanks for your help i do appreciate that!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Please elaborate on the keyboard and mouse that you are using. Are you using USB connection or PS2 connection? Is there anything special about them? Do you have others that you can swap, to replace them, to see if it makes any difference to your startup/booting off CD?

please comment on the above ...

I cannot find a BIOS Setup guide for this machine. Can you ? Do you have such a guide supplied with the computer?
Edit: to quote from one of the manuals ...
Troubleshooting
Message BIOS update
The System BIOS provides optimum support for the processor you have chosen. If the message
BIOS update for installed CPU failed
appears the microcode required for the processor inserted must still be loaded. Further information
on this is available in the "BIOS Setup" manual on the "Drivers & Utilities" CD provided.

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 September 2009 - 04:24 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

Removed the Bios Battery put that back still getting the same problem.

Remove the BIOS/CMOS battery.
Disconnect the PC from the power.
Press the ON button on front of the box.
(Flick the power switch ON/OFF on the back of the box if there is one.)

Wait 1 hour. This will reset the BIOS back to its default settings. (You will need to reset the date/time after doing this.)

Replace the CMOS battery.
Re-connect with the power.
Test booting from CD again.
Test F8 again.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

I have already taken the Cmos battery out but will do the hour test and see if this works?
The keyboard i am using as a usb as i don't have a ps2 connector or one that connects to the ps2 but will have to sort something out along those lines i guess. That is most probably the reason why i cannot get into safe mode.

AS for any info on the Bios no i don't have any of this. I purchased this PC ages ago probably now around three years ago, the only things i did was replace the HD three years ago but also put a brand new O/S Professional onto the system.
The Bios is Phoenix that is all i can say.
But i have checked the Fujitsu site for downloads and they still do a flash Bios, the problem is that although i have downloaded it and put it onto a floppy disc the PC will not boot off the floppy either.

So it seems to me that although the CD Rom and the Diskette is being seen in the Bios it is not recognising that they are working, almost like plug and play is not here.

I will follow your instructions to the T and will get back to you, don't worry if there seems to be a long delay between.

#9 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

There is something else, Prior to me using Combo Fix i did update all the programmes in start, I am wondering if i have checked or unchecked a box that i should not have? Just a thought.
Although it would not be like me to do that as i am very cute on what i perform but we all know mistakes do happen, Is it possible that this could be the reason and has nothing to do with Combo Fix?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

The keyboard i am using as a usb as i don't have a ps2 connector or one that connects to the ps2 but will have to sort something out along those lines i guess. That is most probably the reason why i cannot get into safe mode.

It is definitely a possibility as it is a common problem.

There is a way around it. Enter the BIOS Setup Menu, and look for (possibly 2nd or 3rd page?) an item referring to something like this ...
Legacy USB support
USB Keyboard support
.... and ENABLE it.

That should allow your USB connected keyboard to operate as it should.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

i did update all the programmes in start, I am wondering if i have checked or unchecked a box that i should not have?

Please explain ... I do not understand what you are referring to.

Are you referring to the Startup tab within the MSCONFIG interface? >>> "checked or unchecked a box"

Are you referring to the Start Menu?

What do you mean by "update all the programs"?

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 September 2009 - 12:04 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

please comment on the above ...

I cannot find a BIOS Setup guide for this machine. Can you ? Do you have such a guide supplied with the computer?
Edit: to quote from one of the manuals ...
Troubleshooting
Message BIOS update
The System BIOS provides optimum support for the processor you have chosen. If the message
BIOS update for installed CPU failed
appears the microcode required for the processor inserted must still be loaded. Further information
on this is available in the "BIOS Setup" manual on the "Drivers & Utilities" CD provided.

sorry keyboard is PS2 the mouse i am not using but it is not working anyway and this is USB.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

sorry keyboard is PS2 the mouse i am not using but it is not working anyway and this is USB.

Not too concerned about the mouse.

PS2 connection:
So, the keyboard is connected by a wire with a small round plug to the rear of the computer box.
Is that correct?

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 September 2009 - 01:31 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:07 AM

Not too concerned about the mouse.

PS2 connection:
So, the keyboard is connected by a wire with a small round plug to the rear of the computer box.
Is that correct?

That is correct a pink plug at the end.

F12 into Boot Menu go to set up this then taKES ME INTO THE Phoenix set up utility
go to boot options and disable diskette and hard drive so the only drive which can boot from is the
CD Rom.
Save changes once the adaptor scan is done if i press F8 a number of times the PC bleeps.
Then shows Operating system not found.

So go back and re enable disc drive save changes restart the PC does an adaptor scan then goes back to its
usual cycle of seconds until windows starts then back to the adaptor scan.

Cmos battery removed for around an hour and power button was pressed once mains was disconnected. 1 hr Later restarted
Blank screen for a while then a bleep and then adpator scan again, but went straight to seconds until windows starts etc.

Pressing F8 once or a hundred times has the desired effect of doing nothing. The screen was left blank for a
moment around 10 minutes in case it took some time to go to safe mode. No the screen stayed blank and would not
go into safe mode.

#15 debin

debin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

I have spent a good deal of time today trying to get the windows disc to load but to no avail. I also copied the disc to make sure there was no problem with the O/S disc itself and that is fine. I also have a copy of Home Edition which is only a copy but it does work but gives the same results does not load up.
However i changed the HD to a different HD and put the Professional O/S disc in the cd rom. went to bios and made sure that the Cdrom was the first to start. The disc started going through the motions, because the HD i had was unused i decided to continue to let the O/S disc do what it had to do. I was asked to restart the system after say 5 minutes of the disc running which i did by hitting F3. As soon as the PC restarted i just got a blank screen and the CD Rom stopped after spinning up. I left it for about 10 minutes and still had the blank screen.

On going back to the original HD with the O/S dis in the machine and restarting the PC it goes to Fujitsu page displaying F2 or F12 then the adaptor scan> the black screen troubleshoot and advance start up options press F8. > Another black screen >seconds until windows starts countdown to 0 zero, then goes back to the Fujitsu page yet again and will continue this cycle. Each time these pages are loading the CD rom spin up but fails to load the disc.

What ever this problem is i believe is in the boot sector area? A file missing or damaged? something at least before the HD can kick in. I cannot flash the Bios as i cannot access the floppy or the CD rom drive. Thought i would include some stills of the screen which can be found below. One thing i do not want to do and that is abandon finding this fault because nothing is learned and should i ever come across this problem again i will know exactly where to find the fault.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/yawroc/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users