Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VikingKnud

VikingKnud

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hello invisible helpers.

We suddenly have a problem with starting our Dell Dimension 5150. Itswith 4+ years old Windows XP HomeEdition. Win SP2. (dont know the exact revision but use/install regular MS updates). There have been no physical disruption to the stationary unit and no recent virus/malware infections.

Problem started with Blue Screen UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

1. I tried to reboot in "safe mode" with same result
2. Tried "last working configuration" with same result. (multiple times as someone on BC had suggested that could make a difference - why may that be?)
3. Followed BC tutorials for downloading Recovery Console and burned 7MB ISO file to new DVD
4. Used F12 to change sequence of boot volume so start with dvd and got Recovery Console to run from dvd
5. In main RC menu Chose R to fix XP
6. at command prompt ran chkdsk /r which reported
"the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."
7. same with chkdsk /p

So some or more files in or related to the boot sequence seems corrupted. :thumbsup: How do I further troubleshoot?

A few questions:
How do I find out which files may be damaged and how to replace or fix those?
Can I copy some relevant files from another WinXP equipped laptop to replace those damaged?
Is returning to "factory settings" viable or will this remove the data on the computer?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

VikingKnud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

The fact that chkkdsk has reported running into a situation it cannot correct...should indicate that there is a problem with either the NTFS file system or the hard drive itself.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

If it's a problem with NTFS, the only way that I know to fix such is by deleting the current install and reformatting the partition in question. I won't say that's the only way, it's the only way that I know which will resolve a situation involving a bad NTFS file system.

If it's a problem with the hard drive itself, you may need a new one.

I suggest that, first of all...you consider moving essential data files on that drive...to another place.

Then I suggest running the long/extended diagnostic (obtainable from the website of the hard drive manufacturer).

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users