Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on for a split second then turns off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro636

Pyro636

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hey,

I custom built my own desktop about two years ago and just recently (I'd say like last week) I started having this problem of my computer turning off as soon as it turns on. After it turns on, I can get nothing out of it unless I flip the psu switch off for a few seconds and then back on again. And when I say it turns, on I mean the case fans start to spin, their led's come on, the processor fan and graphics card fan turn on, and the psu led's and fans comes on. I've tested the psu using a paper clip to the green and black wires and it turns on and stays on so I don't think its the psu. Any suggestions? I figure I will have to take everything out and put it back in, and if this is your answer to my question could you please tell me in which basic order I should put stuff back in and whatnot?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

First remove only the CPU and turn it on. If it remains running, the processor is bad
Check the bottom of the chip for hot spots
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Took the CPU out, the only power cable plugged in now is the big one that connects to the mother board, still no dice. CPU doesn't look damaged or anything...does this indicate a fried MOBO?

Edited by Pyro636, 29 September 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#4 windowstech

windowstech

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

The PSU or motherboard may be bad. If you have another PSU, try it. Or try your current PSU in another computer.
Windows Tech
MCSE

#5 ProgressiveComputing

ProgressiveComputing

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

I agree with windowstech, Sound more than likely like a damaged motherboard or psu, Have you not got a proper PSU tester? if not maybe a good idea to get one for just a few pounds from places like ebay. Or just try your PSU on another computer, But sounds like motherboard

Tom - Progressive Computing

#6 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

I agree with windowstech, Sound more than likely like a damaged motherboard or psu, Have you not got a proper PSU tester? if not maybe a good idea to get one for just a few pounds from places like ebay. Or just try your PSU on another computer, But sounds like motherboard

Tom - Progressive Computing

What would be the difference in getting a proper PSU tester?

EDIT:

Plugged in only the motherboard power and bridged the two power switch pins with a screwdriver, PSU turns on and stays on so I'm fairly certain this is not the problem. Unfortunately part of the mount for my CPU heat sink broke and so I'm afraid to turn on any power with the CPU until I have another heat sink in place...

In the meantime, what else can I do to test to see maybe if the mobo is the problem?

Edited by Pyro636, 30 September 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#7 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

Still looking for help in troubleshooting my mobo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users