Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What graphics card would you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 v3k

v3k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi there,

I am going to be upgrading my graphics card only because I want to play COD4 on my comp. At the moment I am using a nVidia 7200 GS because I bought it with my computer at the time I bought my computer and it was an OK graphics card back then but now I can only play COD4 with every setting on low and still I only get about 20 fps which is terrible. So, I am looking for a graphics card which is cheap but can play COD4 with all the settings on max but still get good fps. I don't really want to spend no more than 50. The cheaper the better! But I don't want to waste money on something that can be better for only a few pounds more, you know what I mean? lol.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm not really sure about prices there, but I will give you some advice. What processor do you have? If it's an older single-core it may also be slowing down your game performance. Also, are you sure that you have a PCIex16 slot for a new graphics card? You'll want to make sure your power supply has enough wattage and amperage on the +12V rail.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

I don't know about 50 bucks man....... Well I dont know the exchange rate from the US to the euro but I know it's not to big and that will be hard to find.

#4 v3k

v3k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

British sterling pounds bud and 50 is about $80.

And I have a Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHZ (2 CPUs) and also I have 1024mb of RAM. I've checked all the requirements for the game and the thing I miss out on is graphics.

Would this be better than the nVidia 7300 GS i got now: http://www.base.com/Hw/PNY-GeForce-8-8400G...-SB/product.htm

or

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.as...GT102&af=50

It also advices me to have a 7800 GT

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

Before we can suggest a card, we need to know the wattage of your power supply. Some cards require more power than you think. Almost any current generation card would work better than what you have. I would try to get a card that is as close to your budget as possible. That way, you can get the best card for your money. The MSI HD 4650 1GB GDDR2 CVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card is a good choice. If you want NVidia, the PNY 8400GS 512MB GDDR2 DVI VGA Out PCI Graphics Card would work however, the GeForce 9 card you selected is more powerful. The Radeon HD 4650 is more powerful than the GeForce 9 card you selected, making it the best choice so far.

Edited by DJBPace07, 28 September 2009 - 09:42 PM.

3939.png

#6 v3k

v3k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Ok thanks for that, how would I go about finding out the wattage of my power supply?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

There should be a sticker on the power supply itself. Alternatively, you can look up your computer's model number online and try to find it that way. That option may prove difficult since some OEM's don't list power supply specifications online.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users