Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Using Youtube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jistincase

jistincase

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

I have been having a problem with my dell toaster oven freezing up when a site comes up that has Youtube videos on it. I only use Firefox and have the latest version. I am not infected with anything because I just went through this on another thread and had to reformat the hard drive to get rid of it. I use XP SP3 and have all the updates for it. I did not have the problems until I did the reformat. I read on a forum that it might be the codecs were either incomplete or missing so I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack but I still have the same problems. You don't even have to click on one for it to happen. Pages that have links to Youtube even cause the same problem like Facebook. I cannot even ctrl/alt/del to get the box come up and shut it down. I wind up turning off the power and restarting. My life will be incomplete without viewing some of the idiots that post to Youtube. On a side note I also cannot play some games that I used to be able to. I tried to install Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear and after installation I would try to start them up but either nothing would happen or it would go to the splash screen and then stall. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

How much RAM do you have?

#3 jistincase

jistincase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

I have a thousand. I have never had trouble before though and that is why I am posting here.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Codecs aren't an issue with Youtube. Flash can be an issue but the type of behaviour you're talking about doesn't seem like a Flash issue. That's why I asked about RAM as streaming video tends to freeze when there's not enough RAM. One thing I would suggest is try other viral video sites like Daily Motion and see what happens. I'm thinking it could be issues with browser addons so you might want to experiment with them.

#5 jistincase

jistincase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

I also did notice something weird when I tried to use IE on the same sites. The Youtube videos wouldn't even load at all, just a blank spot on the page. Note: I found out what was causing it. It was a Norton add-on called ISP 2.0 I disabled it and everything seems to be working fine now. I like a lot of features of Norton but it sure can do some weird stuff to your machines. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I should have figured that was the cause.

Edited by jistincase, 27 September 2009 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users