Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can i have Hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Henry2

Henry2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Like, I want to know how to make my computer hibernate manually (start>turn off computer>hibernate) but there isnt hibernate on the list. How can i make the list have hibernation?
Also, how cam i change my computer turn off thing so theres a drop-box?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I think its called standby, but I may be all wet. Start, turn off, standby.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Did you by chance delete the hibernation files using Windows' Disk Cleaner?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Henry2

Henry2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

I am not sure, but there still is a hibernation tab in the power options in control panel.
So basically, standby is same thing as hibernation?

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

Almost, Standby will not save your stuff into the memory while hibernation will.. Standby is sort of a short term thing while hibernation is a long term.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

1. Hibernation is not same as standby. In Hibernation, Windows copies all data in your RAM to a file and shuts down PC. Later when you wake up from hibenation, Windows copies all data back to RAM. In standby mode, computer is not fully turned off only some parts to save power.

2. How to enable Hibernation?
Open Start Menu > Control Panel > Power Options. Select the Hibernate tab. Check Enable hibernation and click OK. Now you can see hibernation option in shut down menu.
Posted Image

3. How to bring up hibernate menu
If you have enabled Welcome screen then you would not see a drop down list but big icons when you click on Start Menu > Turn off.You have to press Shift key for it to show up as shown in this picture :
Posted Image

4. How to disable Welcome screen and make drop-down list shown when you select Start Menu > Turn off
Open Start Menu > Control Panel > User Accounts. Click on Change the way users log on or off. Un-check the box labeled Use the Welcome screen. Click Apply Options to save changes.

Edited by Romeo29, 27 September 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#7 Henry2

Henry2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

ok thanks. I have another questions then

Like, is there a way to make it look like my computers turned off, So all the things are still running?

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:45 PM

Standby mode in XP can turn off your power to all the unneeded parts of computer and only gives power to RAM. The hard disk, monitor etc all get turned off. I think that is what you are looking for.

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Hi, also some other tips on hibernation, the free space on c: must be the same as the ram installed or greater. The bios must also be ACPI compliant (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users