Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 busygal

busygal

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

Ok for the last 4 or 5 days when i start up my computer it comes up with a screen to check disk and it counts down from 1 to 3 checking the disk. do i have to do that or can i some where stop it?. i run defrag once a month and i don't know why this check disk started. what can i do ? help me please Thanks RZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

The chkdsk that runs because of a perceived problem...at boot...does not perform a complete check.

My analogy would be that it attempts to address the wound...by putting a bandage on it.

Chkdsk is activated because there is either a perceived problem with the file system (NTFS) or the hard drive. The 3-stage chkdsk that runs can overcome some of these situations, but not all.

When this chkdsk at boot occurs on my systems, I interpret that as a message that I need to run the chkdsk /r command, which is a 5-stage process and includes efforts to recover data from bad sectors on the hard drive (which is not done when the automatic 3-stage chkdsk runs).

If that doesn't solve the problem, then I do a diagnostic (long/extended test) on the hard drive, using the hard drive manufacturer's tool for doing such.

If you have a Microsoft XP CD, then you can run chkdsk /r on a system that won't boot...from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

If you don't have a MS XP CD, then you can download the Recovery Console and run the chkdsk /r command from there.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm. Note that this is an .iso file and must be burned to CD in order to be useable on a typical system.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

In the event that the chkdsk /r command is unable to resolve whatever is wrong, I suggest the respective hard drive diagnostic.

I would also suggest that you move any data (not program) files which you value...from the hard drive with problems...before attempting any thing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users