Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD or Intel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PlyPencil

PlyPencil

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:39 AM

Before people jump in and say there is no answer I just need the advantages and disadvantages for my system.

I am building a new low cost high performance PC. But I have not decided if it should be AMD based or Intel Based. If I choose Intel I will be using the Asus S775 Intel G31 mATX DDR2 motherboard with a Intel Celeron E1500 2.2GHz S775 processor (Dual core). If I choose AMD I will be using the AMD Athlon x2 250 3.0Ghz processor with the Asus M2N68-AM Plus MicroATX AM2+ / AM3 motherboard.

AMD costs about 20 more however I get an extra 2Ghz out of the processor, I also read that Pre core 2 Intel processors have massive voltage leaks which use a lot of power and produce a lot of heat.

Have I made a mistake somewhere? and what would you suggest my PC to be?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

Sorry, but there is no answer. Both have their positives and negatives, but both AMD and Intel make comparable CPUs. If they didn't, one would be out of business. It all comes down to cost, and what EXACTLY you want out of your PC. I'm running an AMD right now, but my next build could very easily be an Intel based machine.

All you're likely to get posted here are personal opinions and debates. You're not likely to get any information that is going to set your mind to one brand or another.

Edited by possumbarnes, 27 September 2009 - 09:12 AM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 PlyPencil

PlyPencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I understand that, I just needed to know if there was anything specific about what I had chosen that I should know. Thanks, I think im going to go AMD.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

If you build a AMD and ATI computer, it will be cheaper then one made of Intel and nVidia. In your case, I would go for the Athlon because 1) It has a higher clock speed and 2) It's been used for a longer period of time then a Dual Core Pentium. If it had been a Core 2 Duo, I would have picked the Core 2 any day before the AMD. But, the price of a Core 2 will easily match a AMD with less clock speed.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users