Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YAHOO MESSENGER

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kgirl

kgirl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

I just installed Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I was wondering if there's anything different I should be doing to maintain the safety of my system? I've spent the last 3 months cleaning house, so to speak, and want to keep it clean.

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop PC, running WindowsMe, IE 5.5 with SP2 and all but 1 critical update.

For security purposes I have ZA Free as firewall, use CWShredder, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, AVG Free, SpywareBlaster S-T-I-N-G-E-R, and HJT. Is there something else I should be using to keep my system safe?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Don't click on any links or emails addresses in Messenger no matter who sends them to you. An infected computer will send those out without that users knowledge. Don't accept any file transfers unless you know they are coming and you know the sender well enough to trust them.

Sign up for email alerts from the IMLogic Threat Center to be informed of the latest malware and how it is delivered.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

read safe computing it cover the bases.

here's another place to read defending your machine
Posted Image

#4 kgirl

kgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:54 PM

I did register at IMlogic, and read the links to the other articles, and pretty much I am doing all of that now. The security settings for IE are set where the article said to set them, and I have checked to never download a file, and to never let anybody access any of my files. I also clicked on ignore anyone not on my list.

Edited by kgirl, 26 July 2005 - 06:55 PM.

Thanks

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

I can not add anything to what has already been said, mainly because I don't use Yahoo Messenger that much.

The only security problem I see would be with IE 5.5 with SP2.
I think it would be in your best interest to download IE 6 SP1.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/evalua...ew/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....blicpreview.asp

Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users