Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Disk Freezes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

The other day i turned on my pc and a pop u, right over the notification area ( where the clock is) appeared and told me to do a check disk. I clicked on the check now button (on the properties window) and pressed start.

It didnt start and told me that the check disk operation will complete on the next reboot.

Later i turned off my pc and after an hour i turned it on. The check disk operation completed successfully but it froze. I restarted the pc and the check disk blue screen appeared again. I let it to finish and it froze again.

I tried to start i safe mode, but it also freeze.
Tried last known good configuration (or something like that) and it also freeze.

When the blue screen of the check disk appears it let you to cancel it, i did so, but it froze again.

Dont know else what to do.

The hard disk model is Maxtor 320 GB.

Please, I really need to use my computer and I dont want to loose all my data, its very important to me.

Thanks

EDIT : I can boot up with linux from the cd. Maybe you can guide me to do something from linux. I can view my files on all the hard disk (I think)

Edited by Delta16, 27 September 2009 - 04:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

The chkdsk that runs because of a perceived problem...at boot...does not perform a complete check.

My analogy would be that it attempts to address the wound...by putting a bandage on it.

Chkdsk is activated because there is either a perceived problem with the file system (NTFS) or the hard drive. The 3-stage chkdsk that runs can overcome some of these situations, but not all.

When this chkdsk at boot occurs on my systems, I interpret that as a message that I need to run the chkdsk /r command, which is a 5-stage process and includes efforts to recover data from bad sectors on the hard drive (which is not done when the automatic 3-stage chkdsk runs).

If that doesn't solve the problem, then I do a diagnostic (long/extended test) on the hard drive, using the hard drive manufacturer's tool for doing such.

If you have a Microsoft XP CD, then you can run chkdsk /r on a system that won't boot...from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

If you don't have a MS XP CD, then you can download the Recovery Console and run the chkdsk /r command from there.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm. Note that this is an .iso file and must be burned to CD in order to be useable on a typical system.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

In the event that the chkdsk /r command is unable to resolve whatever is wrong, I suggest the respective hard drive diagnostic.

I would also suggest that you move any data (not program) files which you value...from the hard drive with problems...before attempting any thing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users