Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first timer, please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goleafsgo

goleafsgo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

hello
I have a desktop which is connected to the internet with a wireless modem. I am trying to get my laptop to get a wireless connection , can i do this with the wireless modem alone or do i need a wireless router as well
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

What is the make and model of the modem? But normally if the modem is from the ISP yes you can add wireless items.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 goleafsgo

goleafsgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

its a 2wire model #2701hg-g. The thing is im not with the isp that supplied the modem anymore. After fooling around Ive really done it now.
I managed to get into the configuration utility of the modem though the ip adress and tried to change the password so I could set up the modem on the laptop. Needless to say it isnt working on either computer now. Its asking me for my username and password from my old isp wich i no longer have, am I finished?
I had to hook upb the new modem from my current isp wich is not wireless and the laptop wont recognize it

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

Well when you first asked what you needed to do with the equipment you had I thought "eh piece of cake" but upon looking into that 2wire model, what should be really simple is a pain in the ass.

Are you in Canada with Bell Sympatico? There are tons of posts about what a pain it is to do anything with the 2701hg-g. Normally what I would have had you do is make a few changes in the 2Wire then hook it up to your modem and then you'd be all set. But there are post after post about how hard it is to make those changes.

There are things we can try but the process is long and in the end it might not work. What I know will work is going out and buying a wireless router. Setting it up to make the connection to your DSL and have the latest security for your wireless is simple and easy.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users