Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my-system protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cailleach Echo

Cailleach Echo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hello everyone ... Really hoping you can help me.

I use Firefox browser and gmail or yahoo for mail. I have Fix-It Professional 6 which I just ran for any viruses, mal ware, spy ware and ad ware.

For about the past week or so, every time I start my machine, I get a window called Windows PC Defender inside of which is a"My Computer" window. I cannot close this window but I can minimize it and open an additional window.

This address appears in the location window -
hxxp://my-systemprotection.net/?p=WKmimHVl...nBkaF%2FEkKE%3D

In the My Computer it shows the Windows shield logo along with System Folders, My Documents, Hard Drive and Security. Next to each, flashing in red is notification that I have 5 viruses in the System Folders, 7 in My Documents, 12 in my Hard Drive and that "Security has been damaged by virus" in the Security. Additionally, below that is a separate window "Your Computer is Infected" and shows a long list -

W32.Benjamin.Worm Virus High
Trojan virtumonde Virus Critical
AdvWare.Hotbar Virus High
W32.Nimda.J@mm Virus Medium
Trojan.Qoologic - Key Logger Virus High
SHeur.ZSQ Virus High
Adware.Win32.Winad Virus Critical
Trojan-PSW.Win32.LdPinch.abm Virus Critical
Backdoor.Win32.Haxdoor.gu Virus High
Magic DVD Ripper Virus High
Trojan.Fakealert.355 Virus Medium
Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.dge Virus High

Recommend: Click "Start Protection" button to erase all threats

When I have clicked on "Start Protection", nothing happens although, the first times I clicked on "Start Protection", I got a download window. The download was always the same and ended with ".exe". I've always been warned not to open anything that ends with ".exe".

I've also gone through the list of software to see if there is anything there I might want to get rid of but there is not. And, I've run my Fix-It Professional 6.

I was advised that because I run Fix-It, I do not need to run any additional anti-virus software. Is this correct?

Please write any advice as though you're talking to your computer-illiterate mother because that's what I am.

Many thanks.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 26 September 2009 - 01:23 PM.
Mod Edit: Deactivated Link To malicious Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi Cailleach Echo, welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I have moved your topic to the "Am I infected? What Do I Do?" forum since you appear to be infected by a rogue security product. This will allow our members who specialize in malware removal to find your topic more easily.

I've always been warned not to open anything that ends with ".exe"

Sound advice. You're infected with some sort of rogue security program. These programs falsely warn that your computer is infected (like in the list of baddies you were given) and then prompt the user (you) to download a file to "clean" the computer. Do not download anything it asks you to. Do not purchase any program it recommends. It is a scam and will only serve to make the situation worse.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 26 September 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

If this is what you're seeing:
Posted Image

then you have Windows PC Defender. Please follow this guide to remove it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ows-pc-defender

#4 Cailleach Echo

Cailleach Echo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Can't thank you enough!
I'll follow the instructions given in the "Remove..."

Really - Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic