Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless network with satellite internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 feathers50

feathers50

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

I want to try to set up a wireless network so I can use my internet connection with my laptop. My computer guy says it's hard to set up a wireless or any network using satellite internet. I'd like to know if this is true and also, if I have problems, can I just hook the ethernet cable back to my desktop and use it as before, or will I have to change some settings? I'm scared to death to attempt this project for fear that I won't be able to get back to the way it is now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

First, anything that was done can be undone. So don't be scared =)

Second, starting from the satellite what do you have as far as equipment? Meaning, the wire from the satellite runs to a box of some kind, start there.

Lastly, whomever told you that setting up a network of any kind is difficult, needs to not be around computers.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

My satellite dish is connected by cable to a modem which is connected to my computer by ethernet cable. If I disconnect the ethernet cable from my computer and connect it to my router and the connection doesn't work or it's too slow, will I just be able to reconnect it to the computer for it to work as before? Or are there settings that will need to be changed?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have never dealt with a satellite system before so I need one last question answered, odo you have to enter a user name and password to connect to the net? or is it always on?

If its always on, you should be able to connect the router in-between the PC and cable modem and it work just fine. Again I have little experience with sat internet but I have comcast and to get my router to work I have to clone the MAC address of my PC to the router. But that is how comcast is, they install the modem one one PC so to have more than one PC I have to make the modem think the router is my PC. If you plug it in and it doesn't work, post the make and model of the router and we'll walk you through how to clone the MAC. MAC address is the physical address of all networking equipment, everything that connects to a network has a MAC address.

If you have to enter a UN/PW, post the make and model of the router and we'll walk you through how to set the router to make that connection for you.

To answer your question, again there is nothing you can do to your connection that can't be undone. With the router unplugged from power and your PC off, plug the cable from the modem to the WAN/Internet port on the router and your PC into one of the other ports on the back of the router. Plug the router in and turn your PC on, see if you can surf. If you can't, turn your PC off, undo the wires to the way they were and turn your PC back on.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

I don't have to type in a user name and password to get on the net. It's always on. Sorry for all the dumb questions. You've been very helpful. But one more dumb question. How do I know if there is a wireless card already in my computer or if I need an adapter?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

Most newish laptops come with one built in or had the option (2006 or newer I'd say). But to check look in Device manager - Right click My Computer -> click Properties -> click the Hardware tab -> click Device Manager button -> click the plus sign beside Network Adapters. That is where it will be listed.

And the only dumb question is the one not asked =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 29 September 2009 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users