Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this security software enough?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frustrated 24

frustrated 24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

I've posted about this topic before and took the advice of some of the responders. I have installed Geswall, threadfire, superantispyware, malwarebytes, and spybot on my computer.... (All of these programs are the free versions.) I had online armour installed, but uninstalled it when my computer displayed a fatal error on several occasions and had to be shut it down.

Can any of these programs be substituted as an antivirus program, b/c when I try to install one my computer freezes up, and also displays fatal errors. (and I have tried to install/uninstall several different (free) brands to see I can get one to work). My windows security indicates that I don't have an antivirus scanner installed....

My other question is: is there any merit to upgrading to paid versions of any of these programs, and if I did would any of them take on the characteristics of a typical antivirus scanning program and satisfy the requirements of my windows security....

I had been using Norton 360 along with AVG in the past.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

If you plan on upgrading any of them, definately upgrade MBAM first. Upgrading MBAM gives you scheduled scans and updates, basic real time protection against spyware/malware, and IP protection (my favorite part about it. Its very hard to get infected at all if you have it on)

Im not very familiar with geswall and threatfire, but i am pretty sure threatfire is an anti virus, so that will work as anti virus.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

If you update MBAM, I would uninstall Spybot because they will conflict against each other.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 frustrated 24

frustrated 24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

So would it be better not to update MBAM and keep spybot?????????

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

It would be about the same, since Spybot has real time protection. I would keep it as is, because your paying 50 dollars for what you have now. Just remember to keep MBAM up to date and use it as soon as you feel you are infected.

#6 frustrated 24

frustrated 24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well, actually, I haven't paid for anything yet... I do like spybot, though.

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Okay. Just telling you that your not going to see much of a difference if you upgrade. Your setting is fine, I would use Avira or Avast anti-virus, but you mentioned something about freezing.

#8 frustrated 24

frustrated 24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:23 AM

Yes, I was having trouble with both of those programs freezing up my computer..my CPU usage would go to 100% and start performing dumps and/or I would get that fatal error message and would have to shut down the computer.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

That's weird.. Did you have all of the other programs you mentioned above installed when you tried either of them?

#10 frustrated 24

frustrated 24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

I had geswall, threadfire, superantispyware, and malwarebytes installed. At first when I would first start the Avira scan the CPU would jump between 35-80, but them would go to 100% and freeze up. I finally gave up on that one.. Then I tried avast and it didn't work correctly either. I later installed spybot, but have to manually update it, along with superantispyware and malwarebytes. Threadfire updates its self.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users