Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keylogger installed by disc, removal problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carolssis

carolssis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

I was having strange proglems with my computer for 6 weeks. Decided to investigate C drive. Found new folder, opened it. After reading all files I could open, I realized this program had changed values, invaded every where it possibly could. Keylogger installed by a family member, is what it turns out to be. I contacted an expert the next day. He did not take the time to read the files I printed out from this program. He did try several remover programs on disc and flash drive. Nothing worked. He suggested I reformat the hard drive and reinstall OS. I did that. When same problems started happening, I realized the reformat had been blocked or stopped somehow. I had not re-entered my email addresses after reformat, but autocomplete was working anyway. If this is the case, that tells me the hard drive was not reformatted. Which of course, means keylogger is still here. After reading several files to my expert, he realized my entire operating system is involved, all ports are open, and likened the situation to blowing out all the doors and windows of my house, and taking the roof off. I have no bank accounts, or credit cards, and cannot pay online for keylogger removal programs, as suggested by some helpful folks at another forum. My expert says we need to find a way to change every byte into a zero on hard drive to fix this. Any ideas? Thanks for reading. Pavillion 750n, XP home, Kaspersky internet security, downloads, drivers, fixes re-installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

My expert says we need to find a way to change every byte into a zero on hard drive to fix this

Active@Killdisk - Free version:
http://www.killdisk.com/

I would also suggest to look at the keyboard connection at the back of the computer for a small adapter-like box.
That can also be used for a hardware keylogger
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 carolssis

carolssis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

thanks for the suggestion, it has already been done. I know that the person who loaded this was here at the date and time it was installed and that she was on my computer "checking email" . She also brought her handbag in to the computer room with her, which I noticed at the time, and recalled later, because we had been having a birthday party, and I thought it was a strange thing to do. Are there any suggestions at all on how to remove it? So far, 6 programs have been tried, run used, with cmd, located extra partition, attempted to delete it, partition contains kb equalling kb on program file lists.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

Our HJT team should be able to help you

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

There will also be instructions to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users