Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connections show "connected" but no websites.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcook22

dcook22

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi all,

I have a friend's laptop here that's having some issues. He brought it to me infected with Windows Police Pro virus/malware. I found a fix here at bleepingcomputer.com. I DL'd some registry fixes and was able to access the task manager to stop the necessary processes thus allowing me to access the internet and run programs. I DL'd Malwarebytes and ran it. The virus seemed to be successfully removed along with many other cookies and other adware.

The problem now is that when I try to access the internet, the computer can't download pages. I have tried wireless (both from a broadcasting network as well as manually creating access to a non-broadcasting network). I have tried a direct connection. I have tried letting windows control his wirelessnetwork card, as well as allowing the Intel software to run the card.

NOTHING.

It's really weird because when i was fixing the laptop, I had internet access. After Malwarebytes ran, I rebooted and still had connectivity. It wasn't until he brought the laptop home and tried to use wireless networking that he had the first problems. He brought the PC back to work and now it won't work on the office wireless, nor when I plug a cat-5 right into the back of the machine.

Another strange thing is that when I view his network connections in My Network Places, the connections show as enabled and connected at 54 mbps.

For all intents and purposes I should be accessing websites, but I get nothing.

We're running windows XP Home (don't know the service pack, but I can find out), and Internet Explorer 8.

I installed Firefox and still could not connect so it doesn't seem to be an IE issue. I also disabled the firewall so that shouldn't be in the way.

All I'm thinking is that maybe one of the automated registry fixes did something I'm not aware of, however, I did access the internet after a reboot once the computer was "fixed". It's very strange.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't done is uninstall the network card and reinstall because I don't have the drivers. I can find them if need be, but if I don't need to do that I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance for your help with this non-connective mystery.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

Try running "netsh winsock reset catalog" from the CMD prompt and then "netsh int ip reset reset.log"
(Don't use the quotes)

This will reset the network sockets in Windows. Sometimes they get screwy. These two commands fix a "no internet but connected to the network" issue maybe 25% of the time for me. It's almost always a setting somewhere that's preventing internet access.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 dcook22

dcook22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply possum.

Unfortunately it had no effect. I did notice something, though. Microsoft messenger attempts to connect when the PC boots up. It isn't able to connect to the internet either, so I'm pretty sure this is not a browser setting issue. I'm thinking there might be a registry tweak that needs to be done. Any other thoughts? Any help is appreciated as I have no idea what needs to be done.

Thanks.

Dan

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Well, unfortunately, this type of issue is common. I see it a lot from customers and it seems to be a different solution every time. More than once, I've had to do a full recovery to get the computer back online. Hope its not the case for you though.

Have you tried turning off all the automatic TCP/IP settings and manually setting the IP address, subnet, and gateway?

Also, you may want to post this in the Networking forum. You might get more help there. And, don't stop googling the issue because there are tons of topics in hundreds of forums with this same problem. You might come across the answer.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 dcook22

dcook22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

OK, some new information:

I tried forcing a connect to Windows Live Messenger. When it didn't work, it offered to troubleshoot. I rant the troubleshooting wizard and I got a warning icon for a test referring to ports.

Is it possible that port 80 is somehow not functioning? My router is fine as three other PC's in my home can access the internet. Can a computer or NIC be shutting down port 80? Since neither the wireless nor the wired NIC are accessing the internet, again I think it's something in the OS. Is there something in the registry that allows ports to open or close?

I'm sure I sound like a dunce here, but I'm grasping at straws.

Thanks.

Dan

#6 dcook22

dcook22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

thanks for the help possum. I posted on the other forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users