Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Bar Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sellingforcheap1960

sellingforcheap1960

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

Hello,
I am writing this for my father, he has windows xp home and is running internet explorer with SP2 on it, at any rate he downloaded something and hasnt a clue but a little time later after so-called removing it at Add and Remove Programs and I have checked for this in his start-up and also right clicked on the task bar and checked the properties and can't find this problem, but what it is, is in the task bar (and this will do this every now and then) it will put a deal that says KA dial-up this does not happen when he starts the pc he may be sitting there and all of a sudden it will pop-up. I have tried all I can think of from spyware removal tools like spybot and on and on and its still there, its like the program is removed that started the issue but there is something hiding in a folder or file, I have done a file search for this and also a registry check for this under the name KA dial-up and to of no avail. I found something about the google taskbar and a KA dial-up issue and we searched his registry and removed anything that said google and its still there, I myself don't think its causing any issues it is jsut annoying if you know what I mean. At any rate if you have any tips on where to look for this problem or how to stop it, it would be truly appreciated...

Thanks Kindly!!!
Dave in KS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

Open my compuer and click on network neighborhood the select show network connections and if he is using DSL/Broadband (cable) for his internet access there should be 1 Local Area connection and no other connections. If he uses dialup there should be only one connection for his provider (AOL, Netzero, Earthlink ??) right click on any others and select disable. you may want to read safe computing
Posted Image

#3 sellingforcheap1960

sellingforcheap1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hello,
I think you mean open my control panel right? This pops up connected or disconnected and he does only have 1 there. He is useing Adaware Pro, Avg, Norton 2005, its just the pest that keeps popping up down in the tray when-ever it feels like it.
Thanks for the info.

#4 sellingforcheap1960

sellingforcheap1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

Hello,
I gottcha on opening My Computer, as you know there are many ways to get somewhere on somethings on here, the problem is in the tray and normally right beside the Start button.
Thank You..

#5 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

click start, control panel, add/remove programs and remove any programs that aren't supposed to be there.
Posted Image

#6 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:50 PM

After reading your last post agian, a little slower this time, you said this pops up close to the start button. This is the quick launch toolbar. Most programs that are ther are in the start up folders Right click my computer, select explore, expand (click the plus sign) C: then expand documents and settings, expand your user name and locate the start menu there should be folders there open them up and locate your rogue program and delete it. Also check the programs menu. Click start select all programs and locate the start up folder look in here for the same program and delete it.
Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

The next time you see the icon right click it and select properties. Look for the Target line in the properties box. This will show you where the program is loading from.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users