Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maybe, what our Fathers did, Will Bite?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

:thumbsup:

I posted about the Big Dust Storm in Australia in here while it was happening in Australia.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic189995-195.html

Quote.

Dust storm engulfs NSW, heads for NZ12:48 AEST Wed Sep 23.

Sydney turned an eerie orange at sunrise as dust swept in from the west on the back of severe winds.

A powerful wind storm that choked NSW in a thick haze of red dust has blown its way into Brisbane and may even make New Zealand before the dust settles.

Meteorologists said the storm was the worst in at least 70 years and possibly even the history of NSW.

The storm is now dumping 16,000 tonnes of dirt every hour over southeast Queensland and causing airport delays, The Brisbane Times reports.

More Here.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/866509...hrouded-in-dust

This happened in Broken Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlD22HwPvI...ature=topvideos

Strangely enough I grew up in the Area from where some of the Dust originated and can remember terrible Dust Storms in the local Area, but it has never spread like this before.

I guess the X Spurts will blame it onto Global Warming?

I have a feeling that many Old Timers may well agree with them as I would.

Same dust storm dumped onto New Zealand, East coast of Australia and also Darwin.

That makes this Picture Very Scarey. This is where the Dust went right from the Black area, all around Eastern Australia and also New Zealand.

Posted Image

That is not a picture of the current Dust, but much deadlier.

It came from here.

Quote.

Britain actively used Australian soil and people to conduct it's nuclear testing program during the 1950s and 1960s. The 5 areas it conducted the tests are at Monte Bello Islands in north-western Western Australia (just off the mainland, near Monkey Mia); Emu Field in north-western South Australia; the infamous Maralinga in south-western South Australia; Christmas Island and Malden Island, both due south of Hawaii, on either side of the Equator. After the Grapple series of tests, the British lent the site to the US in 1962 for the Dominic series of 25 explosions.

Read the Link and see the same Picture.

http://www.sea-us.org.au/thunder/britsbombingus.html

Not very remarkably, our Scientists are working on it, not giving much away, but enough to make you wonder?

Aussie scientists study dust23:27 AEST Fri Sep 25 200919 hours 13 minutes agoBy Greg Roberts

The dust storm may have been radioactive. (Getty)

A team of Australian scientists are analysing the dust that has engulfed eastern Australia this week to see whether it is dangerous.
The dust storm is believed to have originated around Woomera in outback South Australia near the massive Olympic Dam uranium mine, prompting fears it was radioactive and dangerous.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/868000...ists-study-dust

Then there is this?

Dust storm prompts radiation concerns
Kirsten Aiken reported this story on Friday, September 25, 2009 12:42:00

SHANE MCLEOD: The proposed expansion of the massive Olympic Dam uranium mine is facing challenges on a number of fronts.

Locals around Whyalla in South Australia are worried about the impact of a proposed desalination plant to supply water for the project.

Now an Academy Award nominated documentary maker is sounding alarm bells about the risks from radioactive dust from the planned expansion.

David Bradbury claims authorities should take a closer look at BHP Billiton's plan for the disposal of radioactive tailings in light of this week's major dust storm, which originated in South Australia before blowing across to major population centres on the Eastern Seaboard.

He's warning the planned uranium mine expansion poses health and environmental threats the likes of which Australia has never before seen.

Kirsten Aiken reports.

KIRSTEN AIKEN: The spectacular yet devastating dust storm has been the subject of much discussion, a lot of it centring on responsibility.

Farmers have come in for special attention after leading Australian scientist Peter Cosier claimed poor land management has made Australia less resistant to dust storms.

But now a celebrated documentary maker who has spent much of his career researching nuclear power says the dust event exposes massive health and environmental risks associated with the planned expansion of BHP Billiton's uranium mine in South Australia.

DAVID BRADBURY: It will have much major, more major impacts than the James Hardie asbestos fallout that we had over the last 40 or 50 years.

It will have a much bigger impact than the Maralinga atomic tests that the British chief scientist assured us would not have an impact on our population and women in their 50s are now paying for it with breast cancers.

KIRSTEN AIKEN: David Bradbury says he holds grave concerns about BHP Billiton's ability to contain the 70 million tonnes of radioactive tailings he says will be dumped at the mine site each year.

DAVID BRADBURY: The open cut mine will be three kilometres wide, four kilometres long and one kilometre deep and they propose to bring the tailings, the rock ore, up from under the ground and dump the tailings at the mine site.

Given the dust storms of this week, which ABC TV News said originated from Woomera - which is just right next door to Olympic Dam Roxby - they could blow those tailings across the face of Australia.

The prevailing winds traditionally go east and as we saw dramatically this week, dumping itself on our dense population centres.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2009/s2696450.htm

Just to keep it interesting there is this from America's involvement in Nuclear Testing in America?

Quote.

Gallery of U.S. Nuclear Tests
Last changed 6 August 2001
Between 16 July 1945 and 23 September 1992 the United States of America conducted (by official count) 1054 nuclear tests, and two nuclear attacks. The number of actual nuclear devices (aka "bombs") tested, and nuclear explosions is larger than this, but harder to establish precisely. Some devices that were tested failed to produce any noticeable explosion (some by design, some not), other "tests" (by official definition) were actually multiple device detonations. It is not clear whether all multiple device tests have yet been identified, and enumerated.

These pages focus principally (although not exclusively) on the period from 16 July 1945 to 4 November 1962,

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/

There was also the Russians Involved in them?

Who really believes that Nuclear fallout just goes away? It sits and waits for many years, just waiting to be moved. That is where our Fathers miss calculated.

So we all wait, forget about Global Warming?

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Yeah we are all doomed so what difference does global warming make after all? I am so relieved to not have to worry about it any more.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Please, not another Thread on Global warming. :flowers:

Any Day above ground is a good Day. :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Funny enough it is not.

Mother Nature is doing all sorts of things in the Pacifice and Asian Area just now, including Australia and New Zealand.

Nothing to do with Global Warming, unless you are that way inclined?

Why is that happening?

:flowers: :trumpet:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

(quote)
Nothing to do with Global Warming, unless you are that way inclined?
(end quote)

I agree - this has nothing to do with whether anthropogenic CO2 emissions are causing Global Warming or climate change of any degree. Especially since we have not been warming in the last 6 - 8 years and have, in fact, slightly cooled.

However, I am saddened to hear that Austrailia is not as idyllic as you would like, Abacus 7.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

It is much sadder that Americans ignore what happens else where and say that it is nothing to do with them, Mate.

The Philippines was de-forested by, guess what Country?

Edit: The Problems of your fore Fathers can always come back back to Bite you!

They have had Terrible Floods and Landslides.

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 October 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

And Hindsight is 20/20. I wish I could solve all the worlds problems. I wish I could see ahead in time to know all consequences and ramifications of the politicians actions.. or maybe everyone's actions. *sigh*

Yeah well shoulda coulda woulda.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

"It is much sadder that Americans ignore what happens else where and say that it is nothing to do with them, Mate."

I have not said that, ever, and I'm an American. Please do not put words in my mouth you have never heard me say.

"The Philippines was de-forested by, guess what Country?"

I am guessing you are inferring the US? Some documentation to support that assertion please? Not blind statements. After all they were under Spanish rule for 300 years. I am quite sure that the Spanish crown benefited from at least one or two trees.

"They have had Terrible Floods and Landslides."

This is relevant to what? The Philippines are not the only nation to suffer that fate. The Los Angeles area suffers that problem annually for just one example.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

"It is much sadder that Americans ignore what happens else where and say that it is nothing to do with them, Mate."

Not true. We know Abacus is biased and judgemental when it comes to the US-he seems to think the US is the cause of most of the problems in the world. And he seems to have no clue as to what we are all about-the caring and concern for others when disaster strikes.

When a natural disaster strikes other countries, the United States steps in with aid for that country.
Earthquakes in Mexico-rescue workers headed to Mexico to help search for survivors and bodies.

2004 tsunami that hit Indonesia-monetary aid and American forces sent to help fly in relief supplies to those affected. More than 15,000 American troops assisted in recovery and relief efforts.
US Mercy, a floating hospital ship, responded and cared for the injured. US Navy members, volunteers, public health service members, and others were there on the Mercy for 6 weeks providing medical care.

The US has provided supplies to places where famine was occurring.
Volunteers from the US have stepped in and cared for people in refugee camps.
They've organized medical missions to other countries-where they treat people for free.

These are just a few examples of what the US has done for other countries-do some research and you will find more.
Your statement that the US "ignores" doesn't hold water for me.

You can "rah-rah" all you want about Australia.
I'll continue to praise the nation I call HOME.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 October 2009 - 10:21 AM.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

(quote name='Queen-Evie' )

Not true. We know Abacus is biased and judgemental when it comes to the US (end quote)

:flowers: :thumbsup:

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Although, admittedly, I am not entirely positive what this topic is supposed to be about exactly.. I think we are off it.. the topic I mean. :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

I laugh when people say global warming. its well below zero and I just spent an hour pushing a fella out of a foot and a half deep drift. Global warming? hogwash. If there were such a thing, send it my way I could use some!

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

the_patriot09 -

You'll probably like this - Fact-based climate debate -

written by an expert reviewer of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Sorry, though, that it won't make you any warmer.

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Whilst I accept cross inuendio from others about my Coments about Americans and Australialians in good face, I cannot agree to having this Thread converted into a "Global Warming Thread" so ask that it be closed!

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

You read my mind....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users