Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo firewall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flyeguy

flyeguy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

just a quick question about Comodo.
i've used it now for about 3 years,& so far no complaints.
i was a big Zone Alarm fan until version 5 sometime back which was a total disaster,so i searched for a new firewall,& Comodo got glowing reviews across the board,so i went with it,& like i say have no complaints.
my only query is,the thing never updates!
every other application i have ,anti-virus etc regulary updates its programs,& Comodo even has an 'updater' button in its layout,but every time i click on it,it comes back'no updates' i dont think i've had an update since i installed it!
does anybody else find this strange?
is the site still in buisness?
just wondering if i should keep it,or try something else.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

Can I ask what version you are using?. If you have used it for three years I suspect you are using v2.4 which was discontinued. The latest version is Comodo CIS v3.12.111745.360 which is a Security suite including Firewall and Anti-Virus. Here is a link to the excellent Comodo Forums where you can find the download links and also some excellent user advice. By the way it is still free and if you don't want to use the built in AV then just uncheck the AV box during the installation process.
For the download link:
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsa...d-t45362.0.html

The main Forums link:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

thanx for the swift reply.
yes,i was using the old 2.4 version.
so i will immediately install the new one.
will it benefit me to include their anti-virus?
am currently using Avira,which has always been excellent.
i don't want a conflict,so is Comodos anti-virus as good or better?
or should i just keep Avira?
again,many thnx for your input.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I would keep Avira and install Comodo's firewall only. Comodo is excellent, but their AV is relatively new, and i'd rather stick to something with a history for AV protection.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:25 AM

I use the full CIS suite and find this better simply for compatibility reasons. Previously I used Avira as well and it worked well with Comodo. As far as the Comodo AV not being as good as Avira I haven't found this to be the case and unlike many who write this sort of drivel I have tested out Avast, AVG and Avira and found Comodo did as good a job as any of them. The Comodo AV now has over 6,000,000 viral signatures in the Database and is being updated every two hours 24/7. The new version of Comodo is far better developed than the v2.4 that you are used to. I suggest you have a look through the CIS forum to get used to the new features and have a look at the Guides by Kyle in regard to setting up your new install.

PM me if you have any problems.

Edited by bluesjunior, 27 September 2009 - 04:28 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

I'm not saying Comodo's AV is not good or match Avira's AV. I'm just pointing it out that it isn't really Comodo's line of security until recently, and although they have 6 million Viral Signatures, im pretty sure there are more viruses out there then just 6 million.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Didn't mean to be rude Swordie, just that I am a long time user of Comodo products and like I said in my previous post Comodo have caught up the competition and when v4.0 is released next year it will have surpassed them. I get defensive of Comodo as there are a lot of vested interest groups passing wrong and often complete lies about them. I can understand that, as Comodo is giving away free what lots of them are charging good money for and they stand to lose a lot of money and a lot of customers as well. Since version 3.8 I have used the complete CIS suite and the only virus I have had in that time Comodo picked up straight away. Prior to that I used Avira and I have also used Avast and AVG. In the beginning I would switch off the Comodo AV and install one of the three mentioned just as a fail safe. After doing this several times over a 12mth period and finding nothing, I realised that Comodo AV was doing its job just as well as the others mentioned and just use Comodo CIS now coupled with spywareblaster as real time protection. I use SAS and MBAM as on demand malware scanners and my weekly scan with SAS today was clean, not even a tracking cookie.

#8 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

many thax for you prompt replies. :thumbsup:
as always this site is the best,& never lets me down.
appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users