Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these startup items?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 .alex

.alex

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

Name:
AutoTask Application and BackupSoft

Image:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1103/whatarethesed.jpg

Thing is a while back I had a FreeAgent Pro External HDD and on startup it turns on some Seagate Backup Drive thing that is interfering with a new Toshiba HDD making it crash. I was wondering if any of those two is what causing the Seagate Backup thing to start during startup.

Hopefully these is the right section,
Thank you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

Based on some brief research, I believe that the AutoTask Application from Dura Micro is a backup program of some kind. The Other entry was much harder to pin down. "runredem.exe" is unknown to Google but backupsoft.net is an actual website. McAffee Site Advisor says it's an okay site, but it links to several iffy sites.

Dura Micro, from what I read, is a distributor of external hard drive enclosures. This lends itself to the supposition that this program of theirs is interfering with your new external drive.

As an aside, pretty much all the items you can see in the image can be safely disabled. The only ones I'd keep are Antivir and Spysweeper. You may or may not need the Dell printer program, the programs from Creative can very likely be killed off too. The others: definitely. No need for Java, Quicktime, iTunes, and MSN Messenger to start with Windows. You'll speed up your boot time and improve system performance overall by disabling them.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 25 September 2009 - 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users