Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blue filenames

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

i have always tried to keep my PC in good shape, by always running Disk Cleanup, De-frag etc, but have noticed a problem. I found that some of my photos have started to become more grainy and of poor quality, and i also noticed that they have filenames in blue. i looked this up, and it appears i have compressed the pics with Disk cleanup. is there a way to de-compress them, and will it bring back the quality in them? i am totally gutted about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hello.

Compression is not suppose to make the file lose any quality, but rather sacrifice the time in opening them for disk space, which sounds reasonable for old files.

From a couple tests, image files don't get compressed very much.

If you want to decompress them, it could certainly be done. Please then tell me where the files are located (a drive or folder name), and what formats are they in (jpg, jpeg, gif, etc).

With Regards,
The Panda

grammer

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 26 September 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#3 vancreef

vancreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi and thanks for your reply. The images are kept in 'My Pictures', and are jpeg format. I have noticed that, the filesize's have not reduced, but the blue names prompted me to look into what this meant, and the result i got was compressed files. There is a slight difference in quality as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users