Please do not attach any reports or logs unless specifically asked to. Paste them directly into the body of the reply box.
I think I was infected after downloading a torrent file today
Your log(s) show that you are using so called peer-to-peer
programs (in your case BitTorrent DNA
). These programs allow file sharing between users as the name(s) suggest. In today's world cyber crime
has become an enormous problem. Different ways are used to infect personal computers to make use of their stored data or machine power for further propagation of malware files. A popular means is the use of file-sharing tools as a huge amount of prospective victims can be reached through it.
It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading infected files via peer-to-peer tools and so these tools must be used with extreme care. Some further reading on this subject, along with included links, are as follows: "File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer
" and "Risks of File-Sharing Technology
It is also important to note that sharing entertainment files and proprietary software
infringes on copyright laws in many countries over the world and you are putting yourself at risk of of being indicted through organizations watching over the rights of the authors of such files (i.e. the RIAA
for music files, or the MPAA
for movie files in the USA) or the authors of the files themselves.
Naturally there are also legal ways to use these services, such as downloading Linux distributions or office suites such as "Open Office."
If you decide to keep this program please refrain from using it until we get your computer clean.Ccleaner
is an excellent tool but the registry cleaner
function should never be used
Please be aware that bleepingcomputer staff do not
recommend the usage of registry cleaners / tools
due to the following facts:
- Registry tools can cause irreparable damage to your Operating System
- Registry tools can, as a result of the above, render your pc to be inoperable.
This is done, assuming that the major audience here at this board might be inexperienced users and thus a suggested safeguard from our side.
If you feel you have the need for a registry cleaner, then you are just as welcome to use it. Just be aware of the consequences, which you have already experienced
, and take this as a recommendation from my
More information about registry cleaners can be found at Miekiemoes Blog
You have poker programs installed, PartyPoker, Piggs Peak Poker and Silver Sands Poker
. You may use these games on a regular basis but I think it is important to note that often these kinds of programs are installed with other unwanted software
, namely spyware
. Due to this I strongly suggest that you uninstall the program if you do not use it anymore or did not install it on purpose.
There are so many online poker games out there these days that it is close to impossible to keep track of whether a program is infected or not. Should you have installed this poker game on purpose and wish to continue using it, you may ignore this. Should you decide to uninstall the programs, then you can do so through Add/Remove Programs.
We need to disable your antimalware programs as they can interfere with some of the tools we need to use. I see you have AdWatch
disabled. Please leave it disabled and visit this topic How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
. Scroll down until you find the instructions on How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-malware Scanners.
Follow the instructions for Windows Defender
I see your AVG Internet Security
program is not running. If you disabled it please leave it disabled. If not, it was probably disabled by malware which we will fix.
Is this your Internet Provider? Vodacom_Internet_APN_NAT_Region1. l. South Africa Johannesburg AfrinicStep 1.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.Step 2.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
- On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Please download GMER
from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
- Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
- Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode
- Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
- Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
- Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
- Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
- GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
- If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
- Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
- When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
- Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
- Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
How is your computer running?In your next reply please answer any questions and include:MBAM log