Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hey everyone, Ive been learning about HDD and Operating Systems for a little while now but im still pretty nervous about changing stuff. I figured i would check with you guys before i did anything.

First off, i have downloaded the Windows 7 RC but im not sure what type of CD i need to put it on. I know there is a bunch of different types of CD's like DVD-R and stuff like that but im not sure what type i have to go out and buy.

Anyone happen to know what type i would need?

Secondly, i don't have a huge range of un-used HDD so im kinda forced to put it on one with some somewhat important stuff on it. Is there a well known program that someone knows of that can Backup stuff? I only need to backup about 31 gigs.

Thirdly, i believe there is a 64 bit version and a 32bit version. Ive read up on the difference between the two and all i pretty much got was that the 64 bit was pretty bad, but it enables you to get over 3 or 4 ( can't remember) gigs of RAM. What do you guys think, is it worth getting the 64 bit or should i stick with 32 bit?

Plus, how do i know if my computer is 64 bit compatible? I checked Everest ultimate edition and it said "64-bit x86 Extension (AMD64, Intel64) Supported."
Does that mean i can run 64 bit if i want to?

Thanks for Reading!
Have a nice day! :huh: :huh: :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

l would get 64-- it is the future of tomorrows computers.

As for backing up 31 GB of information, I would use a External Hard Drive, but if you don't have one, 4 to 5 8GB Flash Drives is your best bet.

Windows 7 RC disks will work with any DVD that it will verify as "legitimate". This usually means any DVD-R and DVD+R disk.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Alright, im gonna get the 64 bit version.

Still, does anyone know of any programs that can transfer files/data to another HDD? Or should i just copy and paste?
Ive had trouble in the past copying and pasting because i would get an error if the program is being used.

And thanks for the help Swordie, i hoping to had to my local electronic store and get some DVD-R or DVD+R CDs today

#4 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

One more thing, can i backup my OS?

Ive seen some other programs out there that enable you to save it as an ISO file. But that's only for Mac.

What im planning to hopefully do is, put my programs, documents and settings all that stuff on a separate HDD and than backup my windows on a CD.

So if i want to un-install Windows 7 i can get windows XP back and all my settings.

Can i do that?

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Make a partition for Win 7 and a Partition for XP. You will leave XP's files in the place but you will have Win 7 on boot.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users