Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove Windows live email account

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Mental

Judge Mental

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

A couple of weeks ago I had to open a new windows live email adress forsomething I cant quite remember. Ive allways had outlook express previously and when Ive wanted to send a friend a web link I right cliked and selected ,.... send via email, and it went sucessfully via outlook express. Now when I right clik ,the only option I get is send with windows live, and it doesnt work.
How do I get rid of windows live mail and get back to how I used to be? Ive tried a few things but cant seem to erase it? :thumbsup:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.......If you can fake that, you got it made!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Add Remove Programs. Look for Windows Live Mail. Uninstall.

If this is one of the "few things" you have already tried, let us know.
Also, if for some reason you can't uninstall it, it would be helpful to know what you HAVE tried.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

Do you mean delete the actual e-mail account or e-mail program?

Edited by Swordie, 25 September 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hi, not sure what I want to remove, just anything that will make my Outlook Express come back when I rightclik on a page to send.
Evie, I go to All Progs, but windows live is not shown in the list which appears?
Thanks yall.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.......If you can fake that, you got it made!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

It sounds like you want to make Outlook Express the default email client.

Easy to do: There are 2 methods to use, pick one.

1) At the top of this page, click Tools/Internet Options/Programs tab.
Next to the email line, click the drop-down arrow, choose Outlook Express.
Click APPLY.

2) From the Start Menu/All Programs. Select Set Program Access and Defaults.
Click Custom/Choose a default email program.
Tick the circle next to Outlook Express. Click OK.

OE will now be restored as the client which opens when you use a Mail To: link.

Windows Live Mail can still be opened when you click the icon.

#6 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Evie ,I'll have a go .

#7 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

I just tried the tools route and outlook was allready set as default. I forgot to say before that most things I right clik to send goes correctly to outlook. its just now and again something I want to send via outlook and it doesnt give me the option, Just says "send with windows live" or something like that?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

A couple of weeks ago I had to open a new windows live email adress forsomething I cant quite remember.

Did you install Windows Live Mail at the time you created the new address or had it been installed by you or someone else previously?
What is the address domain? (just the domain. example-hotmail. I don't need to know the actual user name)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 September 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#9 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hi, the address ends-------@live.co.uk
No one else uses my pc , not sure what I installed, I just followed a few prompts and --bingo. Sorry, Im a dumbass on IT :thumbsup:

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi, the address ends-------@live.co.uk
No one else uses my pc , not sure what I installed, I just followed a few prompts and --bingo. Sorry, Im a dumbass on IT :thumbsup:

NO YOU ARE NOT. There's something going on, you don't know what, and not knowing does not make you a dumbass.

I suspect you did not install Windows Live Mail email client. When Live Mail opens, does it open to a webpage? If it does, you don't have WLM client installed. From the very beginning of your topic, I was going on the assumption that you did install it. Since you don't see WLM listed when you set program defaults, I've now come to the conclusion that I was going in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately, I have run out of ideas at this point. If OE is set as your default, you should not be getting anything that prompts you to use Live Mail.
I'll run this by the staff, one of them my have a brilliant idea which would solve the problem.

#11 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

If you recently downloaded it, its probably listed as "windows essential" in your add/remove. Should be about 74 mb.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

To find out if you have Windows Live Mail installed:

Click on Start, then Control Panel.
Open up Add Remove Programs.

After it loads, scroll down the list. Look for Windows Live Essentials.
IF YOU SEE IT, click on Change/Remove.

Make sure Uninstall is ticked, click Continue.
If you see Mail listed, then WLM is indeed installed.
Uninstall it.

If you need to access your live email, you can should be able to do so from
here http://home.live.com

If you don't see Windows Live Essentials OR Mail in Essentials, then there is nothing to uninstall.
(you might want to test signing into the account at the above address before uninstalling WLM)

PS. I've right clicked all over and don't see what you describe "when Ive wanted to send a friend a web link I right cliked and selected ,.... send via email"
What browser are you using and which version of the browser is it? (ex. IE8)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 September 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#13 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Int ex 8. I think I did see windows essentials in a list, Ill find it again and uninstall that. Will let you know what happens. Thanks a million. x

#14 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

By the way, I was able to log in with that link you gave above, with my password.

#15 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

I didnt find windows essentials but found windows messenger which I dont think Ive seen before. Is that something I dont need?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users