Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated Bios now Reload CD not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedKMan

RedKMan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

I am stupidly updated my BIOS not realising that it would cause the reload cd not to work. From doing some research I understand I need to edit the DMI string of the Bios so that it matches the DMI string of the Reload CD. My question how do I begin to do this?

First off, this is an old machine that can boot up fine into a less than legal version of Win XP Pro (I had to test it). I want to use my reload cd as I can't be bothered paying for another OEM of WIN XP Home. Nobody I know has this version so thats out of the question. My only option is to edit this DMI string.

My questions,

How do I get the string from the reload CD so I know exactly what to change the DMI string on the Bios to?

Where can I get the DMI String editor from with instructions?

The PC is not being used now anyways so if I make a mistake and fry things no harm.

Award Modular Bios V6.00PG

W6382VTB V1.0 071502
07/15/2002-VT8366-8233

The computer is an old Time Computers one and I've been told the DMI string should have Time Computers at the beginning.

Edited by boopme, 25 September 2009 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Moving from Hardware to XP for better service
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

<<I want to use my reload cd as I can't be bothered paying for another OEM of WIN XP Home.>>

What reload CD would you be referring to?

If you don't have a valid license to install XP on this old system...there's nothing anyone here can do.

From forum rules: "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#4 RedKMan

RedKMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

I am referring to a Time Computers Reload CD I recieved when I purchased the computer many years ago. I DO have a full license key for Windows XP Home Edition. The problem is the computer came with the reload cd which has part of the image on the hd in a partition and part on this reload cd. In order for the reload cd to work, the dmi string for both must match. However I upgraded the bios many moons ago which changed the bios dmi string. Thus the two dmi strings no longer match, thus the reload cd does not work. My computer has the legal valid license key I am NOT doing anything illegal here at all. All I am trying to do is fix a problem!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

I understand now, thanks :thumbsup:.

The problems, as I see it...is that you have a disk for reinstall that is a recovery/restore CD...and the only entity that understands how that works...is the company that prepared such and provided it with the system.

See remarks by Jakob at http://www.winvistatips.com/dmi-string-has...ed-t214223.html.

Louis

#6 RedKMan

RedKMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

I've decided to get a cheap secondhand copy of Win XP as the manufacturer of my computer went bust many years ago. So I cannot return the computer for them to sort out this problem. Oh well :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

A copy of XP from Microsoft...is more valuable/more flexible than any recovery/restore CDs, IMO.

User has more options for repair and possible correction of O/S issues...than would be provided by restore/recovery disks/partitions.

Remember to obtain the license key for that copy of XP. Although your original license key ought to work with it...you may want to use that copy of XP on any replacement system that you might ever obtain.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users