Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hard drive issue...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Yelnik

Yelnik

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

So basically, I just got a new hard drive shipped to me, 500 gig Samsung SATA drive, my previous drive was still IDE. So I installed the drive, mobo detects it just fine, don't even have the old drive plugged in right now actually, so I put my Vista disc in...So far so good, it loads the setup, takes a little while to get to the language screen, I select english, then click "install now". About 5 minutes later, the screen that says "Copying files", "Expanding files...(0%)" comes up. About 10 minutes later...it still says "Expanding files...(0%)". Another few minutes later, it now says "Expanding files...(1%)". Effectively about 1 percent complete every 10-15 minutes.

How is this possible? I used the disc to install a week ago on an old IDE hard drive and it took maybe 10-15 seconds per percent at MOST, not 10-15 minutes...

Any ideas?

EDIT: I don't know if it copies files before it gets to the aforementioned screen, but it very briefly said "Copying files (0%)" and then it just instantly finished that stage in a matter of 1-2 seconds, then went straight to "Expanding files (0%)..." for a ridiculous amount of time.

Edited by Yelnik, 25 September 2009 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Can I ask you how old your mobo is? Was it post vista? Also, do you have the SATA connector instead of a IDE- SATA connector?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

FWIW: When installing Windows...the files are first copied from the CD to memory.

I believe that they are not transferred from memory to the hard drive...until after the partition has been created/formatted.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

When you mean memory you mean a designated place within the hard drive right?

And I think that is a possibility, considering that there is a few GB of information that needs to be given out when you first install from disk.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

No, I mean RAM :thumbsup:.

I'm thinking of the time when drivers are first loaded, the point at which RAID drivers must be installed on some systems.

See Boot From CD at http://www.networkcert.net/xp/install.htm

I just wanted to indicate that a RAM problem...may be categorized falsely as a hard drive problem during a failed install attempt.

Louis

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Oh, I see. There might be a possibility that they do have a RAM issue because unless their computer does not fully support SATA interfaces, it would make sense if they transfer to the memory then to the HDD. Perhaps you could purchase a new set of RAM and see if it makes a difference?

Did your computer have any lagging issues or slowed down alot before you switched your IDE drive?

#7 Yelnik

Yelnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

The mobo is an Asus P5KPL-CM, it was fully functional as of 12 pm today, as was every other component, and I can only assume they still are. There are 4 SATA cable spots on the mobo itself, but I am currently only using 1 of those slots. It is a straight SATA cable, SATA on both ends. The power cable is however an adapter sort of, but again, its just the power. The rest of the computer is fine, literally moments before I tried to install on my new hard drive, I booted into Vista on my old hard drive. Everything should be working.

I am about to try to install XP and see what happens.

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

Alright, I have a weird feeling it's something with the SATA connection, but I could be terribly wrong. If it does the same thing with XP, then it is most certainly a hardware issue versus a software issue. You might even have a defective SATA drive for all we know.

#9 Yelnik

Yelnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Another question, does it matter which SATA connection I put it on my mobo, theres 4 of them, 2 red ones and 2 black ones...I assumed they're the same. There is also NO jumper in the SATA drive, it did not come with one and the instructions did not specify that a jumper should be used.

#10 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

Usually, the Red one's are the only one that come with computers. Which one did you use?

The Red one is the 300 GB/S
and the Black one is the factory use, 150 GB/S maximum.

Edited by Swordie, 25 September 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#11 Yelnik

Yelnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Used the one on the farthest right, and red.

Edited by Yelnik, 25 September 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hmm.. Perhaps you should switch to the other red cable and see if it has any difference?

Edit: I found this website from Seagate about SATA jumpers, I didn't really look through it much but maybe there might be something you might have done or missed that may have affected your outcome.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by Swordie, 25 September 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#13 Yelnik

Yelnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Looks to be nothing of importance, but my hard drive is Samsung, I don't think there needs to be a jumper.

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

Most likely there won't be.

How is the XP setup going?

#15 Yelnik

Yelnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Its actually just about finished...but Im still a little iffy on it, there was a little bit of odd behaviour during the installation. Odd graphics delays, strange hang-ups on particular files that were being copied...Nonetheless, Im on the XP desktop right now.

EDIT: Going to see what happens when I try to update from XP to Vista...

Edited by Yelnik, 25 September 2009 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users