Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows Explorer has stopped working" and frozen taskbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katieb

katieb

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

I'm having a problem with my taskbar freezing and then getting the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working. We are working to fix this blah blah blah blah". I use Firefox, and don't EVER use Internet Explorer because it causes me nothing but problems, so what IS Windows Explorer? And why does it stop working and cause my taskbar to freeze up? I run windows vista on a Toshiba laptop and have all available updates, and just updated Vista Service Pack 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

Windows Explorer is what displays items on your desktop, shows the start menu, and your task bar. If you recently are having these problems, especially after installing SP2, you might have a software conflict. You can try uninstalling SP2 from the Add/ Remove Programs list and see if that helps!

#3 katieb

katieb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

It was happening before I installed SP2. Is there another program that might be interfering? I am also getting the error message "Windows Media Center has stopped working, blah blah blah" but I just get the error message, no freezing or anything. It happens about 5 times a day. Are these 2 problems possibly related?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

We need to see the entire error messag and any numbers that go with it. Not just blah, blah, blah
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 katieb

katieb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

The entire messages are: "Windows Explorer is not responding. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." and "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available" My only option is "close" for both messages.

Edited by katieb, 12 October 2009 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users