Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there such a kind of software that will spot bad code?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Advice Pro

Advice Pro

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

And Possibly fix it as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Define 'bad code.' There are things like resharper for Visual Studio, JSLint for javascript, etc. but they are not going to correct the code for you since in most cases the software likely has no clue what you are trying to do. Then of course there is the compiler/interpreter that will catch syntax errors.

#3 pleurebleu

pleurebleu

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Depends,

Some IDEs will correct syntax error... (such as a missing semi-column in C)
Others might underline them as microsoft word would underline some bad spelling.(Eclipse)

But since there is no way it'll know what you're actually trying to do... the answer to your question would be no.

If it existed, it would be nice though

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Coverity makes some automated code analysis tools. Microsoft also has FxCop which ships with Visual Studio for all the .NET languages.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Well, there probably is, however you have to ask yourself, is this really what I want.....?????

Here's the deal. If you use a "high-speed-bad-code-detector-gizmo", the question becomes
what have I learned from this....? :flowers:

By going through countless iterations of the development cycle, enduring the "pain and suffering" of
trying to decipher other developers code, after awhile, (...and trust me on this one...) you
will be able to spot "bad code", in most cases, right from the start.

I know, I know, time is of the essence in some software development organizations. Got to get it fixed and back in to production. Need an answer now.
Blah, blah, blah....

But in the longterm, as painful as it is, determining what "bad code" is, and how to identify it will come from the experience of going
through the software, determining better solultions, and applying those solutions in future developments.

This is how us "old coots" :thumbsup: used to have to do it. Just depends on what you want and how you want to do it......

IL

Edited by Imperious Leader, 19 November 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

No such programs exist as far as I am aware, unfortunately.

(Though you can buy Bad Code Offsets :thumbsup: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users