Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card and game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Xantalen

Xantalen

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

:thumbsup: Ok. I play Battlefield 2 and I use a really crappy graphics card that is so bad that everything is on low quality. What could I use in medium quality that won't slow me down much. And is there a way to make my card work better or something. By the way my card is an nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

BF2 can be played on the FX5200

my friend has a FX5200 256mb factory OC from BFG Tech. he can play it no prob. what size is your card? we need details man, details.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

If you mean how many megs, mine is 128 and Its not that i cant run the game, its that Im sick of it being on low quality. If I put terrain on Medium I lag bad.

#4 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

Oh yeah don't tell me to buy a new video card because believe it or not it took me seven friggin years to get the computer I have now. So its gonna take forever for me to get a new one. I bet the next oen I'll get is the 7800 but by the time i do its gonna be out of date like the 5200 basically is.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

well, buying a new video card is your last resort.

try playing on the LOWEST resolution i.e. 640x480, or 800x600. mess with the settings. you never know.

you can always try overclocking it. no garuntees tho. overclocking will drastically increase heat in your system and shorten the life span of your card.

but if you cannot do either, then i suggest stick it out until you can buy another one. i've got a GeForce 4 MX420 64mb. i cant play BF2 at all. but i can play NFSU2 lowest resolution, higest settings, and get 30-40 fps.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:58 AM

If I make the resolution lower a lot of stuff won't fit on my screen. I usually play it on 1024x768 because i cant see everything in lower resolutions.

#7 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

I am gonna try it once. Ill reduce it to 800x600 maybe that will do it. From there ill make most of it medium or Ill just try the terrain medium. If this works and I like it then I owe you one. But since I can't give you anything I'll really give you one.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

looks like youre a performance and detail hungry user... if you want everything at high you will have to upgrade your video card.

- Rick Cook

#9 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

One question whats better, 60hertz or 85hertz cuz the lower resolution thing worked. Its just that medium goes to slow to actually fight in. And I know I need to buy a new one im trying not to

#10 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Whatever your Monitor uses is best. i'd not mess with the hertz settings, you may mess up the monitor.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#11 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:23 PM

You never said how much memory you have. It's 1-2 gig reccomended. I have a gig and a GeForce 6800 but I still can't put all the settings on high w/o getting lagged down a bit.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

1 gig ram
2.4 ghz processor
bfg 6800 gt oc 256

I used to have everything on high but with a resolution of 800x600. I would get terrible lag, the game would be unplayable for 5-10 minutes on every new round or entry to a server. I've taken most of the things down, terrain to medium and dynamic shadows and lighting have helped it quite a bit, the lag when first entering a server has been now reduced to around 30 seconds or so.

Probably start with terrain, then move on to lowering dynamic shadows and lighting. That could possibly help you a lot, I know it did for me. Either that, or mess with everything yourself.

good luck.

edit* anybody else hate the fact that some keys can not be changed what so ever?
I'm a heavy user of the arrow keys and the number pad, and I can't set any binds to 2, 4, 6, or 8 which totally hinder my abilities to think quickly when a soldier pops up right infront of me. Its especially hard to be a medic (though my favorite kit) and try to switch back and forth from the weapon, to medic bag, to shock paddles just by using the mouse roller. . .

Edited by Wizdabest, 30 July 2005 - 10:23 PM.

#13 thebes

thebes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:18 PM

Hi, what do you mean by overclocking? Does that have to do with forced memory download of the DLL?

#14 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

anybody else hate the fact that some keys can not be changed what so ever?
I'm a heavy user of the arrow keys and the number pad, and I can't set any binds to 2, 4, 6, or 8 which totally hinder my abilities to think quickly when a soldier pops up right infront of me. Its especially hard to be a medic (though my favorite kit) and try to switch back and forth from the weapon, to medic bag, to shock paddles just by using the mouse roller. . .

I believe the patch due out late this month should resolve this issue. For all details visit their home page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users