Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive all zeros, all original disks lost.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tjo49770

tjo49770

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:44 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4500, with 1 GB RAM, CD-R/RW, 75 GB Seagate HD, FD, USB, Ethernet. I used KillDisk on it to write zeros to entire drive. I don't have any of the original disks that came with the PC. I do have an exe self-extracting file of an ISO image for XP Pro. Can anyone help give me step by step simple directions of how to use this file to install Win XP Pro as a fresh install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

If you truly have an .iso image of XP Pro...then the first thing you need to do is burn that to CD.

In it's present format, it cannot install anything on your system...but turning it into a bootable CD will allow installation.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

To install XP, two things are required: You must have a valid license to install XP Pro (a license for XP Home will not do) and you must have a CD that truly has all the files necessary to intall XP Pro on a system.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Clean Install Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installa..._windows_xp.htm

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Last time I ordered them they were free

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tjo49770

tjo49770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, I did order an XP Home disk from Dell. It now costs $20 with S&H. I first formatted the drive as NTFS with a partition for the OS and another for most other programs and data. So far, so good. Not sure about using SP3 and what version of IE to use, and what order to install them in. Seems that people are reporting problems of this out there.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

FWIW: SP3 and IE 8 happen to be the latest versions issued by Microsoft. If you read any of the documentation prepared by Microsoft explaining why these versions even exist...you will see that a system with a prior version of either...is subject to known malware exploits...and revisions/new versions generally occur because of system security considerations.

<<Seems that people are reporting problems of this out there.>>

Some people still blame "the devil" for the bad deeds done intentionally or uninstentionally...by them. Some persons blame Microsoft because their systems get comprosed due to user lack of concern or neglect.

That does not make it so at all.

Louis

#6 tjo49770

tjo49770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

So do you advise that I install SP3 and IE8 to my clean install of XP Home? Any advice on how to do this best?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

<<So do you advise that I install SP3 and IE8 to my clean install of XP Home?>>

Sure, I don't believe in making life easy for malware or those delight in inflicting the unsuspecting/uncaring with such.

If your clean install reflects (either) SP1 or SP2...you can just install SP3. Available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en OR you can use the Windows Update site.

<<Any advice on how to do this best?>>

If you have a broadband connection, it's best to download from the link above. Save it to desktop, install from there.

Later, that same download can be used to update your XP install CD (not recovery/restore CDs) via slipstreaming. That would prevent future problems when attempting to either run sfc /scannow or do a repair install of XP.

IE 8 can be obtained from the Windows Update site.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users