Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop shut off by itself, battery doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xstarsunx

xstarsunx

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

hi all,

my boyfriend has a toshiba laptop thats about 2 years old. just right now it shut off by itself and gave no warning at all. he was surfing the web and it just suddenly died. usually if the battery is low there would be a really annoying loud beep noise to indicate it but there were no beeps and or any kind of warnings at all. now the computer won't even turn on, there are no lights on the laptop whatsoever...just...dead.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? overheating? i know nothing about this kind of stuff so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:52 AM

take the battary out and put the ac aptaper in and see if it works then
if not then the battary is fine

they ussally do this when the lap top is dead

i hope you got a warranty

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

You may have burnt some of your motherboard if it was an overheating issue. Do what Starcraft suggested and if it works, then your battery is just defunct. If it doesn't work, you may want to take it to a computer shop if you a bit inexperienced about computer parts, and let them do a diagnostic.

We may also have a virus issue that may just automatically shut the computer off, but I think it has a higher chance of overheat damage.

Edited by Swordie, 25 September 2009 - 02:31 PM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

We may also have a virus issue that may just automatically shut the computer off, but I think it has a higher chance of overheat damage.

well hes computer wont turn on
i guess those bios viruss still exist , I thought you cant get them no more with newer OS.

Edited by starcraftmaster, 25 September 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Anything can happen when technology is involved. Recently, computers have skyrocketed in advancement, but so have spyware and malware rates. Either his "PSU" is completely fried, his Mobo is completely fried, or he has a boot up virus. Either or.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 Cayer

Cayer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

there are only two possibilities: one is that, the battery is broken.the other is that there is some thing wrong with your laptop.
use a good battery to have a try.if the laptop could work normally wothout dying, the reality is there is something wrong with your laptop.Be patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users