Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web page loading problems, I think I've narrowed it down to windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Burns11

Burns11

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:38 AM

System:

Windows 2000, SP4, completely updated
AVG (resident shield and link scanner disabled for performance)
Winpatrol
KX manager, logitech mouse, HP printer only other resident tray programs

384MB ram

Problem:

This doesn't happen all the time, it will go in seemingly random spurts, it might not work for 10 minutes, it might not work for half a day or more. It's also been happening about 2 weeks I guess. During this time, web pages just about refuse to load. For example, I put in bleepingcomputer.com, the browser finds the server and starts waiting, and keeps waiting. After a long while, the thing might time out, and when it does it usually shows the web address in the title and nothing on the web page (no error), occasionally I will get connection reset error. I can retry and eventually it might start to load, show the proper title, but not load the rest of the page, or it might eventually load part of the page with missing assets or load the page completely. Everything else seems to work just fine. Email works, ping works, image/HTTP based emails work within outlook, bittorrent works, etc. The web browser on the Wii works just fine loading the same page as on Windows, so I think we can rule out router/cable modem/network. I use firefox as my main browser, but both it and IE have the same problem at the same time.

A specific example, I downloaded an xubuntu livecd to help diagnose, it took 15+ minutes to load the text based download page to the point of seeing the link, but download of the 617MB file started immediately and was done in 5 minutes.

What I've done (problem persisted unless noted), as close to timeline correct as I can recall:

Ran AVG, malwarebytes, spybot scans that turned up nada.

Tried ping, tracert that came up normal

Asked online if anyone else was experiencing problems in the area, no confirmation.

Reinstalled firefox, dumped settings, ran without extensions.

Ran in safe mode with networking, ran under diagnostic startup.

Started up Wii web browser to check cable service. **ran fine. **

Tried xubuntu live session, worked completely fine, even when windows wouldn't before I restarted into xubuntu and after. **ran fine**

Tried emergency repair and a repair install of win2k, caused AVG boot problems and subsequent update problems, eventually got that ironed out.

Results:

Outside of a complete reformat, I am at a loss. I've run out of ideas, I'd really rather not have to take a couple of days to get data off and get everything set up again. The only problem right now is the internet pages, I've had no other problems. Any new ideas to try?

While doing this write up, I realized I failed to try another port on my router (it's wired BTW), so I've done that, though I do think that isn't the problem given the specificity of the network problem, I would think a bad port/nic would give you a more general problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi, what web browser are you using? Open you web browser and go to http://bleepingcomputer.com now in the web browser type http://208.43.87.2
Did it load faster via ip address?
MCP
MSDST

#3 Burns11

Burns11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

I use Firefox 3.5, but the problem persisted to the IE I never use otherwise.

I tried circumventing the DNS servers, I even tried changing my DNS servers from ISP default to Level3 to OpenDNS and then back to Level3 (level3 was the fastest).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users