Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Won't Load. - XP Home Ed.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Learning To Fish

Learning To Fish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

To start with I got a virus bravaix.exe (or something like that) it was a pain...kept giving me popups. So to fix the problem I ran Combofix.exe (I tried to run Malware to fix the problem but it wouldn't run due to the virus). Not sure if My computer froze or I got in to big of a hurry but, I restarted my computer and when it came back explorer.exe was no long working. Next I tried to run Combofix.exe again (via cmd prompt) and it worked well enough that I could run malware. Next I ran sfc /scannow and that didn't fix my explorer.exe. Next I ran hijackthis it pointed out a lot of things to look at but not sure what is good and what is bad.
To help figure out how to get explorer.exe to work again I've attached the logs for Combofix, Malware (mbam.exe) and hijackthis. Please let me know if there is something I can do to get this working again (without reinstalling the OS XP Home Ed.)

Removed Combofix log. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 September 2009 - 02:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:10 AM

Hello,

ComboFix logs should not be posted outside the HijackThis forums, and then only when requested. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

That said, from what I see, you need assistance in the HiJack This forum. I am removing the Combofix log from your initial post so that if you have problems creating the logs requested in the preparation guide, that we can continue to assist you in this thread. Please keep the Combofix log in case your helper requests it later.

Please read and follow all instructions in this guide: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Psuedo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have completed those steps, please start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Prep Guide to post a new log.

If you have problems creating the DDS logs, please post back here and you will receive additional instructions.

When your new DDS/HJT log is posted in the proper forum, please reply to this topic with a link to your new topic. Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thank you for your cooperation and good luck.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Right-click on the Task Bar and open Task Manager
In the Applications window, end all running tasks
Start a new task and type explorer.exe
This should bring up the Desktop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users