Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Photo AIO Printer 942

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 capwings

capwings

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I am trying to fix this printer for the grandparents.

I can scan to the computer. I can not print a test page or any document / photo. I have re-installed the drivers and software but that didnt help. Anything else to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Could be time for a newer one.

One of the problems with all-in-ones is that one function may go, while the other works fine.

I would uninstall the printer...and all software which was provided with the printer/scanner...run a chkdsk /r on the system...then try to reinstall the printer/scanner.

No error messages of any sort regarding the printer/print function?

Have you checked Event Viewer for such?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 capwings

capwings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I will check the event viewer this weekend while I am out there. He did mention that he got an error about USB...but you know how grandparents are, not very computer literate. The printer is installed by USB but if you can scan using the USB then you should be able to print right?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

No.

You have a machine...that combines 2/3 separate functions: printing, copying, scanning. Neither function is necessarily dependent on the other and I assume...that the device is put together in the same manner.

USB is just the mechanism used to communicate with the rest of the computer system...before USB became popular, both scanners and printers were connected via parallel ports (still existing on some systems, largely unused).

Louis

#5 capwings

capwings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

uninstall, reinstall and new USB cable did the trick. thanks for the help

Edited by capwings, 30 September 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users