Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best registry cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I am in search of the best registry cleaner. I am willing to pay for the product, although I see many freebies offered and recommended. Where the software will be messing with the registry, I want to make sure it is a reliable program. Can you tell me the best program? (HelptoGo recommends "CCCleaner" and "EasyCleaner"). I see "Registry Mechanic" recommended quite often as well.

I have "One Button Checkup" with my Norton Systemworks, but I eventually want to remove Norton from my computers. Another reason I need to know the best registry cleaner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

Hi just installed and ran CCleaner and cleaned up my registary lovely.
So can recommend that one
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:39 AM

Hello,

I usually use RegCleaner:

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/...-cleaner4.3.htm

and Iím very satisfied with it. It very easy and you donít have to be any expert to use this program.

#4 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

ccleaner is good and windows registry reair se seems good too.
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

Please keep in mind, that one must always create a registry backup, before editing the registery. I can not stress this enough.

That being said. CCleaner does much more than cleaning the registry. Plus it is free.

CCleaner_Version 1.21.

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :thumbsup:

About CCleaner
Posted Image

#6 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

Thanks so much! I downloaded CCCleaner and it appears to work beautifully! And it makes a backup of the registry before changes.

I did go back into regedit and saw folders (of old uninstalls) still remaining there. I guess I will not worry about those, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Thanks so much everyone!

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 27 July 2005 - 09:14 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:50 PM

I did go back into regedit and saw folders (of old uninstalls) still remaining there. I guess I will not worry about those, unless someone tells me otherwise.

That's because CCleaner isn't a general registry cleaner. As I understand it, it only addresses certain problem areas (Issues) in the registry, similar to the System Internals module of Spybot Search & Destroy. I don't believe it adresses leftover entries from programs that have been uninstalled, which is what a general reg cleaner does and i think is what you are asking about It is certainly not the best registry cleaner as you have asked about.

RegCleaner, that Halfman linked you to is generally considered to be the best general reg cleaner. However, that is an old, free version of what became jv16 Power Tools, and that program has now gone shareware. Since you say you won't mind paying for a program, and I've had problems getting the older free versions to work correctly (the programmer seems to have set them up so that they wouldn't fully function by a certain date, I suppose because he knew he would be seling the product later), you can find the latest version here: http://www.jv16.org/

You might also want to try RegSupreme, which is a reg cleaner only, without all the other tools that come with jv16. But you also should know that general reg cleaners should be used with extreme caution. They are usually safe, but they make educated guesses and if they guess wrong then you may not be able to boot up to restore the backups they make.

What I do is let a reg cleaner scan and only let it delete entries from programs I know I have uninstalled. Anything else I"ll research before deleting. Then I'll use the search function of jv16 to search for entries that may have been missed--and truth be told, you can do that with regedit or Registrar Lite(<--easier to use) if you know what strings to look for and are comfortable with editing the registry.

For example, and I've advised people to do this if they want to completely get rid of Norton programs, after uninstalling Symantec products, search for all entries that contain the following text:

Norton
Norton Internet Security
Symantec
Live Update

Those can go. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps you do what you want to do. You can try those programs from Macecraft free for 30 days, after that I believe they are fully disabled unless paid for.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#9 Trexxie

Trexxie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

Ccleaner messed up my system even though I've always done a reg.back up.
My comp. wouldn't' boot after I've cleaned it with Ccleaner - naturally, I couldn't get to the registry back up files .
The interesting thing is that I've been using it for a while, and everything worked great, but I guess it removed some important files.
I had to format, reinstall Windows - basically, my worst nightmare... :thumbsup:
Now I'm not using anything to clean up my registry - any suggestions?
Maybe there is one that cannot delete important registry files?
(Newbie questions):flowers:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Thats interesting Trexxie. You are the first one that has reported that. What is your operating system?

Under normal circumstances a registry will maintain itself. These cleaners are not really neccessary. The normal disclaimer I give when discusing registry cleaners is to leave the registry alone unless you have a specific issue to deal with and are conversant enough with registry entries to be able to pick what to delete.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users