Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot add program to "Open With..." dialog

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WACOMalt

WACOMalt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

I have had this issue for a long while, but finally am fed up with it. Hours of searching haven't yielded much...

So, say I have a file type that isn't assigned to anything (or even if it is and I choose "open with") for this story we will use ".XYZ" which may or may not be a real extension.

I double click this file, as expected the "Open with..." dialog box comes up. I can choose any program in the list and it will open with that program. I can even choose to always open files of that type with that program with the checkbox. However, I cannot add a program to my list! I click "Browse", find my EXE file, hit ok, and it does not get added to the list. :thumbsup: I have also tried adding programs via the "File Types" tab in the view options, but it uses the same dialog box, and thus it still doesn't work.

I have no clue what caused this, but I know it has been this way for a long, long time. I just have never been annoyed enough to find an answer.

Now I recently updated Flash to Flash CS4, and I cannot tell .fla files to open with flash. I know I could manually add it in the registry to that extension, but I need to know why I can't through "Open with...".

Thank you for any help you can give me!

-WACOMalt

P.S. I can't wait for windows 7, the beta version got me very excited for it!

Edited by WACOMalt, 24 September 2009 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users