Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptops freezes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 el rod

el rod

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

I have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 that freezes within approximately 10 minutes of being booted. At this point a Hard restart is required. Nothing related shows in the Event Viewer logs. Thinking it might have a malware cause, I began to run the usual scans. Spybot came up clean. MBAM freezes every time at the following File C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\viafir2k_6aa613d6d\viairda.sys. Adaware freezes at C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\volume.inf_9320b452\volume.pnf.
The scans were done both in normal mode and Safe Mode with the same results. The computer itself does not freeze while in Safe Mode. I'm stumped here and appreciate any assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

We might also have a overheating issue because it's stopping at a approximate time. If it was spyware, it could be completely random unless it was coordinated by the producer.

How old is this laptop?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 el rod

el rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

Laptop is a few months past one year old. I thought about the overheating issue too, but is it strange that it doesn't occur while in Safe Mode?

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Well, in that case, repost your issue in the Am I Infected forum so someone can properly help you.

Good luck, and I hope your computer gets fixed!
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 el rod

el rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks. I will repost then.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

viairda.sys
VIAIRDA.SYS is a VIA Fast Infrared Driver.
Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
www.via.com.tw

volume.pnf.
It's a Windows file, but I can'y find out what it does
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 el rod

el rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks. I'll see what I can find out about the via driver. This Laptop does not have an infrared port, so it seems uneeded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users