Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

Hi everyone,
Hope you can help me. I'm useing winxp sp1 and when i go to windows update which is usually every couple days i get one update and it's "update rollup 1 for microsoft windows xp(KB826939) I downloaded it and installed it the first time on Oct.23 2003 and have downloaded the same thing SEVERAL times since. I looked at my history and am up to date on all that i need to date. is this an ongoing update or am i installing the same update over and over? What's almost funny is that they are all successful!
Thanks for any help.
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

It has been suggested that you only bother with the critical updates. Go to the MS update pages from your XP Help Update section.

It seems like MS is only posting new updates once a month now. So you probably do not need to update quite so often.

#3 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Bluie,
I do only bother with the critical updates, this updated is listed in the critical updates whenever i check. Thanks for the time frame tho,it's hard not to keep checking with all the stuff going around and all the critical updates and patches that you need.
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:50 AM

Hi magic,
Sorry I missed your post here. Don't know how that happened. :thumbsup:

Rollup 1 is several critical updates to be downloaded & installed at the same time. They're all "rolled up" into one, thus the name. You're absolutely right to be concerned. So let's see what we can do about it.

First let's see if we can verify which updates are installed & which may not have installed properly. Try this:

Go to Pedestal Software's WebAudit. Enable "MS Fixes" & "Scan the local machine" then click Begin Audit. If anything fails verification, post back here all the information given about them. You'll need to be using Internet Explorer for the audit to work.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:53 PM

Thanks papakid for the link. I ran the webaudit and this is what it gave me.
Statistics
41 OK
1 Not OK
0 Errors
5 Info

Not Ok....Valnerability in MSN Messenger could allow information Disclosure(838512) 2004/03/09

Sorry for not getting back here sooner.
Thanks again
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,638 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

OK magic, let's try something easy. I think we're going to have to do something a little harder, but give this a shot.

Go into Control Panel>Add/Remove and see if you can find a Hotfix that matches that number & uninstall it. Instead of Windows Hotfix it will probably start out with MSN Messenger Hotfix. Just make sure the number is 838512 or MS04-010. If it's not in Add/Remove, let me know.

If you are able to uninstall it, go to Windows Update and try to reinstall. The problem is that this is not rated as a critical update and shouldn't have an effect on whether Roll up 1 verifies or not. You'll probably have to look in the optional Windows XP updates in the lefthand column to find it. You should go ahead and install it anyway--it's possible that without it you could have sensitive information stolen.

Have you ever used Registry Editor (regedit) or a command prompt?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Papakid'
838512 is not in my add/remove programs. the thing is too is that i don't even have MSN messenger 6.1 and i don't run that messenger i have yahoo. i did have trouble uninstalling MSN messenger 5.0 and it still remains in my add/remove programs. if that has anything to do with it i don't know.
Yes i have used command prompt and am pretty fimaliar with regedit.
thanks for all your help,it's nice to have people here to help me when i mess up LOL
Have a good one!!
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#8 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

Papakid,
Just looked in my registry and 838512 is not there, i looked under sp0,sp1 and sp2 and it's not there.
Just thought maybe this would help.
Again thanks,
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#9 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:39 AM

Papakid,
Just did a search of my computer and MS04-010 or 838512 are not on my computer anywhere.
Thought i'd let you know
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#10 handler

handler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

I had the same problem when I was using SP1. And it blocked for new downloads from Windows Update.

I downloaded Service Pack 2 (SP2) from www.microsoft.com

This solved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users