Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I installed more RAM and PC had a heart attach, Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ivanother

ivanother

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hi all, Its been a while since I've been here.
Thanks for all the help last time, But now I have another problem.
My PC has been a little slow lately. (XP home P4 processor)
I'm using Zone alarm Fire wall, anti-virus and spy. I also have PC tools spy ware doctor running.
I also run Spybot search and destroy as well as Spywareblaster as and when.
Having done several deep scans with all of the above, Nothing unusual was discovered.
So I decided to invest in more RAM, going from 1GB to 2GB.
fitted the new sticks carefully, PC disconnected from the mains, static strap / earth etc.
When I fired up the PC, it seemed to start normally, "Found new RAM"
Then it seemed to have a seisure / Heart attack :flowers: , It shut down - restarted its self half a dozen times, Then (and I cant recall the exact errors) It said that it had suffered a major failure and had gone back to some earlier windows / registry settings.
I checked the system and it showed the 2GB I'd fitted, but the PC wasn't working properly, so I removed the RAM and fitted the old back in.
Tried a system restore, but all restore points were corrupt, in the end I found an old regi-cure restore point from back in 2007, I restored to this point and it started without the errors, Very slow, but no more crashes,
I then re-installed the new RAM sticks individually and tried both slots, it turns out that one of the sticks was Knackered,
I'm borrowed a stick from a mate and currently running 2Gb, but it's slower than before, something is wrong.
I'm not sure if i have corrupted windows or the registry or the BIOS. Dont know what is wrong.
My mother board is an ASUS P4S533VM, I did check and it should be able to take the 2GB RAM.
I have also down loaded what i think is the latest BIOS for the board (ps5vm110), But I've not ran / installed it. Never done it before / not exactly sure how to, OR if that is definatly the fault, at the moment the PC will start and run, even though it's like goin from broardband back to dial up speeds, I dont want to screw it up completly.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Yours is not such an easy task to sort out quickly, but here is a good place for you to start. Do the three things that I have suggested and then report back here with your thoughts on how the system is running then. Hold off on the BIOS update for the time being.

Download and install CCleaner and run the Cleaner (Cleaner mode ONLY) in its default settings to clean up some unwanted clutter ...
CCleaner Slim 2.23.999
http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
---------------

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Open "My Computer"
Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.
-----------------

Defragment the system hard drive. I suggest using Mydefrag in preference to the Defrag tool included with XP (but that is my preference).
Download and install Mydefrag and run "Monthly Defrag"
MyDefrag 4.2.0 Beta
http://majorgeeks.com/MyDefrag_formerly_JkDefrag_d5542.html

The above steps are all "normal maintenance" procedures, but may not have been done recently.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

Also might want to test some hardware. If your computer is running slow, and it doesn't seem like an OBVIOUS infection, you might have a bad hard drive. Test it with some Hard Drive testing tools and see what your results are, also find someone with a Power Supply tester and make sure your getting correct amperage.

#4 ivanother

ivanother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

I use CCleaner, updated to the recent new version and ran, cleared 95.1Mb. Is that a lot?
Defrag regularly using defraggler, which I ran again. Next to no fragments.

But I've never ran "check disk", which I have done now.
The first time it was quick, less than a minute, so eventually once my desk top was loaded, I thought that I would try again, this time it obvioulsy did run, it took the about 45min, Then when windows started. It did not report any errors, I'm not sure what's supposed to happen, or if it makes a report?

But no real improvement

I don't think that their is a problem with my HDD or Power supply, but I'm willing to check.
The PSU voltages look Okay. Do I need a load/current check, or will i be wasting my time and money?
My primary HDD is a samsung SP0802N, Check disk came back okay (I think?) Does it need testing? where can I get software to test it, if required.

Once an application is running, It's not to bad, but loading an app or changing a web page is very slow?

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

I use CCleaner, updated to the recent new version and ran, cleared 95.1Mb. Is that a lot?

No, chicken-feed.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I will simply offer a few links that may help you on your way ...

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

Note: use this to manage your startup items:
Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Do NOT use MSCONFIG to manage your startup items.

What to do if your Computer is running slowly
http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

Help! My computer is slow!
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html

@ MajorGeeks
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25835
Heres my latest and greatest computer maintanence guide! by drizzles
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.ph...zles&page=2

See what you can do with these few general guides/suggestions. The detective work is all down to you.
I cannot suggest that you google "slow computer" ... because you come up with far too many entries, most of which are not places you want to go/products that you want to use. Be VERY careful about what tools you choose to use and what you do. Preferably ensure that any tools you use come highly recommended by reliable persons. Do NOT be tempted to use registry cleaners AT ALL (their use goes against all the best sources of information available!). Any questions, feel free to ask away ...
----------------

You said: "I don't think that their is a problem with my HDD or Power supply, but I'm willing to check.
The PSU voltages look Okay. Do I need a load/current check, or will i be wasting my time and money?"
It would be a waste indeed; do not bother.

Edit: another tip from me ... get very familiar with the use of the Task Manager to monitor what is happening at all times. I put a shortcut in the Startup Menu so that it starts along with Windows each time, and leave Task Manager open and sitting handy on the Desktop when I am trouble-shooting.

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 September 2009 - 01:59 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 ivanother

ivanother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for your advice,
I've up-dated a couple of drivers and it seems to have improved a bit.
I will have alook through the topics you've suggested and see how it goes.
If i'm still not getting anywhere I will post again.

Once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users