Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can get email, but not internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gzgrrrl

gzgrrrl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:07 AM

i'm a newbie so be gentle. i'm no techie and may need a little hand holding, so please bear with me. i finally got rid of a very nasty rootkit on my roomate's computer. it was the Antivirus Pro (rouge spyware)/SKYNET/svchast.exe/PEV.exe combo. i ran everything, and i mean everything to remove it and am now confident it's gone. got all the sneaky hidden system and registry keys - what a nightmare. this sucker turned off the firewall, corrupted all the exe files so none of the spyware removers would run, turned off the system restore and messed with the internet connection so that i couldn't get online. anyhoo, that being said, everything is back up and running now, with the one exception of the internet - i haven't been able to get online. oddly enough i am able to send and receive email and the wireless connection works fine but i can't get my homepage (or any other) to load. it just says it's 'timed out'. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated - until then, i am going to return pulling out my hair... :thumbsup:

here's my pertinent info:
- dell dimensions PC running windows xp home
- using linksys wireless-g router
- using online armor free firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gzgrrrl

gzgrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

would like to thank b.c. for letting me post. the issue has been 'resolved', and didn't want anyone to waste their time or energy. bascially this virus/trojan :flowers: is self-replicating and there's no way to remove it completely so i will need to wipe the drive clean and start over. thanks again for the space. :thumbsup:

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

I got the same thing about 2 months ago. Its what brought me here to BC in the first place. Now they can't get rid of me..lmao. I lost everything on my PC on all 4 hard drives. So I how much it sucks. Good luck and come back TONS of info on this site =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users