Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD's every day!!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 lola69

lola69

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

I was fortunate enough to have some experts on this site help me rid my computer of some wicked rootkits however, I am still getting the bsod on a daily basis. The most recent was this:

Stop: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0xF7787D70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My advisor here asked me to post the link but um, I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

[post="win32k.sys Rootkit"]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253639&st=60&gopid=1436219&#entry1436219[/post]

Kind Regards,
Laura[

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Did not read your whole thread other then to confirm you have been pronounced clean by the Malware crew.

Regarding your BSOD. Are you running Norton or Symantec anti-virus?

#3 lola69

lola69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:41 AM

I am running Avira actually ThunderZ and I also have installed SpywareBlaster as per the recommendations of the team. I seem to be getting the bsod's when I try and run my Media TV 3 (independant program that was bought so I can watch tv).

Thanks
Laura

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

Ok. That rules out the first link Google lead me to.

How long ago did you purchase and install Media TV 3? Did you install any new hardware too. Perhaps a TV tuner card?

How much memory are you running? Is it all matched?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

FWIW, courtesy of AUMHA:

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Louis

#6 lola69

lola69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

Ok ThunderZ.......you lost me at the memory part however, I can at least answer some of the questions. I bought the Media TV less than a year ago. It came with software and a USB stick (plug & play type). I previously was using ATI multimedia center to watch tv through the pc (and using my Bell satellite receiver) but it was not loading properly and was constantly shutting down. Hence the purchase. If you can guide me on how to find out the memory answer on my pc, I'll give you the specs on that as well. I have received a few bsod's in the past since cleaning the computer up but I wasn't able to write down the code until my advisor helped me with the settings on the computer.

Thanks
Laura

(you're going to have to spell things out as I am a complete sped when it comes to computers)

#7 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

When does the BSOD occur? Before getting into Windows? Or while running a program?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Then I will make some guess`s and let me know if I am close.

This is a store bought PC that other then the USB stick has not had any internal hardware add`d.

Since you are no longer using ATI multimedia center, did you uninstall it?

You will need to bear with me as well on some of this as I am unfamiliar with both ATI multimedia center and Media TV. The fact that it is a USB device does give me a couple ideas.

Do you always leave it plugged in. If not, do you always plug it back into the same USB port?

#9 lola69

lola69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Yes, the pc was a store bought one. The usb stays plugged in all the time. I did not uninstall the ATI multimedia center although I did try once to do that and stopped when it said that I would no longer be able to run the tv tuner if I did. Probably not the best idea to keep it in there but so far, it hasn't interfered with anything.

The bsod's have been occurring randomly (either while surfing or using Word or while answering the experts during the time I had malware). Thankfully, they managed to reinstall the windows recovery console but I have not run any diagnostics since it was reinstalled.

Thanks
Laura

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

So the TV tuner card is still hook`d up to external devices and you are using it?

Have you checked for program updates for it recently?

#11 lola69

lola69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Well, if there was a tv tuner card, it is inside the machine because the Media Tv (usb) is plugged into a port on the back of my pc. Sadly and ignorantly enough, I have not checked for updates on the Media TV device/software.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

It sounds like you are not even using the card.

Let`s do it this way. What is the make and model of your PC and what operating system are you running?

#13 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Have you tried running any memory tests? Like hamluis said, most of the time hardware will cause issues as well.

#14 lola69

lola69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

I will check to see what kind of pc it is once I am at home (at work now) and will report later. How do I run a memory test? I can do that as well once I get home.

Thanks!

L

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

MEMTEST.

If you do not have a floppy drive on your PC then you will need to download the .ISO image and burn it to a CD. Let us know if you have questions when you are ready and some one will assist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users