Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

I hope I put this in the right place. I have used SAS for years and years and I love it. I think it's a great spyware program and I advise all of my friends to install it. Recently, I advised a friend of my mom's to install it. A few weeks later I was trying to install PSP on her computer and I kept getting an error message that G drive was invalid. I wasn't trying to install it into a G drive. The CD was in the E Drive or whatever the drive is on a laptop. Anyway, she got a hold of a Dell technician and after three hours and $70, he told her it was from SAS. Now I'm about to write her and tell her that is absolutely not right unless it was a bad installation and she installed it, not me. Can you tell me why a tech would tell her that? He also told her that she didn't need any other protection other than what was installed on her computer new.
Linda

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

Can you tell me why a tech would tell her that? He also told her that she didn't need any other protection other than what was installed on her computer new.
Linda

No idea why he would tell her that. Makes no sense. Probably lack of training, 7.50/hr wage, lack of motivation or knowledge, bottom of the rung in the Company, real bottom, tech level1 likely, why should they care. Most ISP techs tell people to shut off their firewall as it interferes with the bloatware the ISP installs inspite of the customer saying to install nothing. They also want to sell you their, ISPs, protection.
What was installed on her computer is unlikely a sufficient amount of protection, but don't overdo it.

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Well, I'm glad her problem was fixed, whatever it was, but now she thinks it's because SAS is gone. They had trouble getting it uninstalled and she said the tech had to install something else to enable him to uninstall SAS so I think it was a bad installation. Thank you for your opinion, tos.
Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

If you have it set to run at startup and to scan in the backround (Real-Time) you can possibly have problems. That is true for any real-time scanners that monitor the registry for changes
That is why it is recommended to close all running programs, including your AV when installing software
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

I have to agree with garmanma. Any time you have something that is always running in the background, there is potential for a software conflict. And it doesn't matter if the software was properly installed or not. After a few months a computer's configuration and general layout becomes pretty unique. So why some software conflicts on a certain system but not on others is very hard to determine--but it happens. Assuming the tech even knew what he was talking about, we would have to see what he saw to give any kind of good answer to your question.

Are you using and recommending the full version that has to be paid for so that you get real time protection? If so there would be a greater potential for that to conflict with an installed antivirus and other security programs. You can overdo installing security programs--I often see people with two or more antivirus and/or firewalls installed as well as a bunch of other security related programs. The more installed the more potential for conflict. What did your friend's install list look like? BTW, the free version of SAS also wants to run at startup, which is pretty disappointing to me since it is pretty useless as it isn't a protection module.

What the tech said about the computer already having enough protection could well be true. New computers now commonly come with security suites preinstalled. If kept up to date and otherwise maintained, my opinion is that they are adequate for the average computer user who doesn't have dangerous surfing habits. SAS is a great program--for cleaning up infected systems. If you don't commonly get infected, then you won't need to use it very often, so buying it for some added protection is not necessary. Again this is my opinion. If you aren't hauling a ton of gold, then you don't need an armored car.

BTW, tos226, when did Dell become an ISP? :thumbsup:

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Papakid,
BTW, the free version of SAS also wants to run at startup, which is pretty disappointing to me since it is pretty useless as it isn't a protection module.

This can all be unchecked from the General screen in SAS preferences so that SAS is only an on demand scanner.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

LindaIHN,
Sorry for confusing things here, but you got good answers from others, the beauty of a good forum such as BC.

BTW, tos226, when did Dell become an ISP? :thumbsup:

Pick one
a. When I got Brain damage
b. When lost reading comprehension skills
c. When Dell became and ISP behind our back

Slightly off-topic:
I use SAS. Not runtime. Never asked for runtime. I update and I use it just for spyware scans every once in a while. Curiously, Loadorder.exe indicates that something loads at starup, very early in fact:
System n/a* n/a* SASDIFSV SASDIFSV
System n/a* n/a* SASKUTIL SASKUTIL
Image column (which I can't copy!) points to \??\C:Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASDIFSV.SYS and SASKUTIL.sys.
Yet no SAS service of any kind is running that I can see. So why are those things loading?

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

LOL tos226 :thumbsup: Yes there are only so many monopolies to go around.

What you are seeing is, I believe, a kernal level driver for SAS. It actually helps SAS remove very stubborn malware that also loads very early. It shows up in a DDS and other logs in the malwware removal forum similar to below:

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============
R1 SASDIFSV;SASDIFSV;c:\program files\superantispyware\sasdifsv.sys [2009-5-26 9968]

You also have a .dll that starts early--at windows logon. It will show up in a HijackThis log as follows:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

They are legit and serve a purpose, so should be left alone. Altho I guess it's possible these caused a problem on Linda's friend's system.

The startup set by default when the free version of SAS is installed serves a purpose as well for some people, just not for me. If I remember correctly, the developer has mentioned that when SAS is running in the background, a new malware install won't be able to prevent you from opening SAS--because it is already open. The malware would have to be able to kill the process first. But don't quote me on that. As I mentioned, if you don't get infected very often then it isn't so useful--if you use Limewire or similar P2P to download cracks and warez, then maybe it is.

As I said, SAS is a great cleaner. It even has alternative ways to start and install, which I think is under utilized.

Thanks for the note bluesjunior--I should have mentioned that. The first thing I also do after installing SAS Free is to disable the splash screen as well as that startup.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for being gentle and thanks for a very nice and interesting explanation of the SAS detail which, while never bothered me, was baffling. Sounds like an interesting method they did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users