Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Internet Security?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chevymn34

chevymn34

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

I just wanted to know what was the best internet security to get, Norton, Mcafee, so on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jonnas_tan

Jonnas_tan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

I just wanted to know what was the best internet security to get, Norton, Mcafee, so on?

Check out the new AV comparatives test results and than pick one:P

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor...vc_report23.pdf

I prefer Bitdefender IS 2010; good rating, good detection, good review..can't complain so far

Jonathan

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

I've used Avast since... 2006? It has been really good for me, no viruses and no slow downs. The only thing with those charts or data tables that point out a 99.9% detection rate is that sometimes, in that 99.9%, they might have a few false positives. I would recommend Avast Anti-Virus Home Edition or Avira Anti-Virus Home Edition. Don't get both though.

Also, you could use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Spyware protection.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

Jonnas_tan thank you for the web site you posted. Very good read.

#5 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hello,
In my opinion the best protection is DEP-data execution prevention.To find out do you have a DEP go to grc.com and let Shieldsup!test your pc.This site is owned by Steve Gibson who is a well known security guru.
If you have that-Great!Many experts examined a DEP and,after comprehensive research they concluded that DEP is not perfect!!!My humbly opinion is that fully activated DEP is the only protection any pc need!I may be wrong,but as contra evidence please show me an finding that DEP made an infections.The only drawback is this:Dep will close sometimes a site that you visit because of a danger of infections!
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

Basically you get good protection from all the big suites (I personally think Norton Internet Security is really good), BUT if you should still have safe browsing/computing practices.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

10 months into testing Kaspersky has me believing it is hard to beat, besides providing excellent protection it does not dog the machine like the rest. Nothing like losing a ton of speed due to your AV suite.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

I've used Avast since... 2006? It has been really good for me, no viruses and no slow downs. The only thing with those charts or data tables that point out a 99.9% detection rate is that sometimes, in that 99.9%, they might have a few false positives. I would recommend Avast Anti-Virus Home Edition or Avira Anti-Virus Home Edition. Don't get both though.

Also, you could use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Spyware protection.

Before I go and do something stupid, again, can Avast and MalwareBytes be used at the same time?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yes they can.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 nikonjems

nikonjems

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

according to me McAfee Internet Security Suite is the best.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have use K.I.S for 3 years now and the only thing I have found is that it is not user friendly. It works well but you have to do a lot of home work to get some things done or not done. I will try some thing else next time; just to see if I can get the job done with out all the tinkering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users