Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swap Hard Drive With Other Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 awhispersecho

awhispersecho

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone. I still have an issue with my computer that I am unable to address so I was wondering about this. I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Both desktops are running XP while laptop is running Vista. My newer desktop has a fried motherboard. Hard drive is fine, all my info and files are still there and accessible but I am not able to get anything off of this computer. USB ports are fried, Memory Card readers are fried and CD/DVD drive is fried. So what I want to know is, can I put this hard drive in 1 of my other computers or atleast attach it someway to 1 of them so that I can get things off of it? And if I can, how do I do it and what is the best way to do it? Thanks for taking time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

Hi Awhispersecho,

I have done this several times in the past, usually when someone else's harddrive has got contaminated.
Assuming your operational computer will support two hard drives, all you have to do is take the side off your computer and plug it into an IDE or SATA lead ( with your computer switched OFF ) and into a spare power connector. It is important that none of the circuitry of the hard drive you are connecting temporaily can contact the case of your computer. To avoid this risk, either mount it into an empty drive bay or sit it on a non-conducting surface - a rubber / plastic mouse mat will do nicely.
When you re-boot, the second ( temporary ) drive will show up as Drive D:/ in Windows Explorer and you should be able to copy any files you want. When you have finished, turn off the computer, remove the hard drive and put the side back on.
I have never tried this with drives set up under different operating systems and I do not know if that would work, but you say that both your desktops are running XP, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I am curious about one thing - how did you manage to fry everything and not fry your hard drive ?

Hope this helps,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 awhispersecho

awhispersecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hi and thank you for responding so quick. I am not sure how it happened. We did have a storm, the power didn't go out enough to turn the computer all the way off but I guess did enough to damage it. When I went in, it was frozen. I could not get it to boot completely until I unplugged all usb devices. Once I got it booted up, I started noticing everything else that was wrong. Fried my sound card and network card as well. As far as your instructions above. I am pretty good with computers but I may need you to be a liitle more specific in this case as I don't have much experience fooling around with hard drives and all. For instance, IDA or SATA lead (not exactly sure what you mean) and a spare power connector. (what type) Also, Will I be risking losing data when I do this and will I be able to use this drive again if I fix my fried computer at some point. (I have been told that it is my motherboard but don't know if that's right or if that's all it is) Once again, thank you for all your help and I will not do anything unless you tell me to.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

IDE (ATA) or SATA Leads are plugs that connect the hard drive to the motherboard. The SATA lead is a small plug about 1cm in length and will fit perfectly on the 2nd slot in your HDD. If your using a IDE (ATA, older computers usually have this), you will have a 40 pin "cable" that kind of looks like one of those old fashioned printer cables. You will also have a power connector, depending on your computer. Most computer I have seen have 4 holes.

And in the case that you don't have a extra expansion bay, what you may end up having to do is place DVD's or Flash Drives on the unharmed computer and transfer all of the info onto a removable drive and place them on your non-affected CPU.

Good luck!
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users