Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ruphus

ruphus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

I am trying to help out friend with an older lap top (Toshiba Satellite 1415 S173).

I reformatted it with XP SP3,and therefore lost the original drivers.
Laptop runs fine but doesn't seem to take a charge (new battery), and there is no battery indicator for me to check the status of battery or to see if it actually charging. I tried to install drivers from Toshiba but they are not compatible with SP3 (SP2 only).

My questions are:

1. Could the missing drivers be an issue with charging.
2. Would the A/C not charge the battery even though it is powering up the laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

Depending on the age of the laptop, his battery might actually be dead. Some laptops can operate without a battery but run on straight AC current. Did you say this battery was new, or was it the original one?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 ruphus

ruphus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:39 AM

New Battery

#4 Cayer

Cayer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:11 AM

personally speaking, it would be the second possibility

#5 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

We have had a problem with 2 separate laptop AC cables where the wire responsible for charging the bettery broke right at the flexible part where it connects to the laptop. I removed the insulation, soldered and spliced the 2 wires inside, and it solved the problem.

I would suggest just replacing the cable if possible, rather than committing surgery on it. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#6 laptoptec

laptoptec

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:09 AM

I would try a new battery and a new power supply.. if found one at impactcomputers
http://www.impactcomputers.com/pa3107u-1brs-gn-rb.html

and one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Notebook-Battery-T...8#ht_3554wt_995

to bad you have to buy to try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users