Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Will Not Run - Help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scecchini

scecchini

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

I used the posted procedures here to download Process Explorer Download (and re-named it as directed to iexplorer.exe) and found tsc.exe in the list and deleted it. I then downloaded Malwarebytes to my desktop and that worked fine. When I go to run it however it only runs for a couple of seconds and then says "Malwarebytes was stopped for some reason if we figure it out Windows will send you a message".

I also have Norton Internet protection on my computer and at about the same time as all the other problems started occurring if I try to run Norton it just looks like it is moving but never checks any files and never closes. I have to go to Task manager to get it to stop or get it off my screen.

I am running Vista Premium and now I use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

If you cannot run MBAM or complete a scan in normal mode, then try performing a Quick Scan in "safe mode".

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but in some cases, there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally and try rescanning again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 scecchini

scecchini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

I have tried running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode and it does the exact same thing. Quits shortly after starting citing some unknown reason for not finishing. Is there a distinction between Malwarebytes and MBAM? I thought MBAM is an acronym or essentially the smae thing as Malwarebytes? Please correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks for replying. You are the only one so far.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

I thought MBAM is an acronym or essentially the smae thing as Malwarebytes?

Correct.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode or complete a scan, then try doing it in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply. If you can't find the log, try to write down what was detected/removed before exiting Dr.WebCureIt so you can provide that information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users