Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk and Press Enter to Continue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

Recently, after unplugging my system from its power source (removing power cable from the power supply) and then later reconnecting the power source, the machine will not boot unless a Vista system disc is in the drive upon boot, mind you, not booting from the disc, just having it in the tray and booting to the OS harddrive. If the disc is not present at startup the machine displays the following error message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE.

If I insert the disc after this is displayed, the machine hangs and does nothing. If I restart my system after inserting the disc, the machine boots as normal.

Attempted fixes:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd, /fixboot

Operations complete successfully but they do not fix the problem. These actions were attempted primarily as a shot in the dark. Typically I have encountered this issue when the molex connector or other cabling is loose on the OS HDD, but that is obviously not the issue, since I am posting this from the machine.

OS is currently installed on an IDE drive, set as master on the primary IDE channel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated to save my the extra step in order to boot.
A+ Certified Support Technician

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

bootrec /FixMbr

#3 Akthalian

Akthalian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:40 AM

seems like a forgone conclusion to me, of course I realize this AFTER I post (for shame).

The big question to ask however, and I forgot to mention this at first, MBR corruption has now happened twice I believe since installing vista. If that continues to be a recurring issue, am I looking at a re-installation or is there a factor im not seeing?

#4 Akthalian

Akthalian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

turns out I spoke to soon, that did not correct my issue. Any other suggestions?

#5 Akthalian

Akthalian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Im starting to run out of ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users