Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Cd won't boot and, I have no floppy. Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Akatski

Akatski

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hi all.

Backround: My laptop has been acting up lately after I got it fixed by a professional he said he cleaned it up and added some heat sync stuff I guess to keep it from heating up. It freezes alot and restarts on its own at time when Im streaming video's or running alot of programs. ( I'm guessing not enough memory. ) I figuered why not get rid of all the adware and spyware crap I had. Fast forward...... I download the program and all is going good. I find about 50 threats and counting after running the program for maybe 10 minuites (full scan) it froze on me.

Now: I restarted and usually I get to log back in and restart what I was doing and not it freezes at the xp home screen. It says loading... and freezes. The windows log on screen wont completely load. I tried to go into safe mode and still nothing.

I have a genuine windows xp cd but when I start the computer it fails to load the cd rom. Also, I tried to go into the setup screen and made the cd rom the first boot hardware and still nothing.... I am stuck right now if anyone can help me please assist me with some advise.

My goal.. is to repair the windows and keep all of my files.

Thanks you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:23 AM

Go into the BIOS/setup...set first boot option as CD/DVD drive. Save the settings after changing them.

Insert the XP install CD into the tray, boot the system.

Elect to attempt a repair via the Recovery Console (select the R option).

Once in the Recovery Console, select 1 for the Windows install you want to access...just hit Enter when prompted for password...and then type the command chkdsk /r (space between k and /) on the line. Hit Enter.

If all goes well the command will execute and eventually reboot into XP.

Louis

#3 Akatski

Akatski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi all.

Backround: My laptop has been acting up lately after I got it fixed by a professional he said he cleaned it up and added some heat sync stuff I guess to keep it from heating up. It freezes alot and restarts on its own at time when Im streaming video's or running alot of programs. ( I'm guessing not enough memory. ) I figuered why not get rid of all the adware and spyware crap I had. Fast forward...... I download the program and all is going good. I find about 50 threats and counting after running the program for maybe 10 minuites (full scan) it froze on me.

Now: I restarted and usually I get to log back in and restart what I was doing and not it freezes at the xp home screen. It says loading... and freezes. The windows log on screen wont completely load. I tried to go into safe mode and still nothing.

I have a genuine windows xp cd but when I start the computer it fails to load the cd rom. Also, I tried to go into the setup screen and made the cd rom the first boot hardware and still nothing.... I am stuck right now if anyone can help me please assist me with some advise.

My goal.. is to repair the windows and keep all of my files.

Thanks you.

Tried that. I will just boot up as if no cd is in the tray.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

If you can't get the BIOS boot selection to work...I don't have any ideas that will help.

System manufacturer and model?

<<I download the program...>>

What program might that be?

Louis

#5 Akatski

Akatski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

the program is alled SUPER AntiSpyware Professional 2009

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Did you actually pay for that...or did you get it via torrents?

Only reason I ask...there's a better than average chance of getting infected when relying on torrents, IMO.

I didn't even realize they had a paid version, the free version works just fine.

Louis

#7 Akatski

Akatski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

Yea I did get it via torrents. All of the programs I use via torrents I check the comments and everyone says it works fine.

Same thing happend to me the first time around before I paid to get my hard drive reformated. Same thing happend when I installed roxio 9. I installed it on my home desktop and its still on there working fine.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Well...I suspect (I certainly don't know) that one or more of these torrents...is how your system continuously seems to develop problems.

About the only thing I could suggest would be...trying to reset the CMOS settings to default, since you don't seem to be able to access the settings.

Or remove the hard drive, attach it to a well-protected system and try to run the chkdsk /r command on it from that second system.

Someone else here may have better ideas.

Louis

#9 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Is it a DVD-ROM Drive? I've seen a lot of computers that will not take a cd but will take a DVD. If you are able to burn your XP disc to a dvd, try that. Also, you can try a different ROM Drive (USB or IDE).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users