Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM for Compaq Evo D510

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rockwells

Rockwells

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hello, this is my first post to this site, I hope I get it right the first time, lol.

Anyways,

I have a Compaq Evo D510 that I am looking to upgrade the RAM on. It originally came with a total of 256mb RAM(x2-128mb chips) and I recently replaced them with 2x512mb chips coming out with 1g of RAM. I've looked up on a few websites that say something about 266MHz for the speed of the original RAM chips that was once in there. I guess my main question for this topic is that, does it matter what speed of RAM I need or is it okay for me use any type of speed as long as both RAM chips match?

If there is anyone out there that knows what I'm trying to ask and understand what it is I'm trying to ask, the help would be great. If there is anything that you want to ask about the computer that I am speaking of, please ask and I'll be more than happy to answer. Thank you for your time on this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

I have used both PC2100 - 266 and PC2700 - 333mhz ram in that computer. Both speeds will fit in the slot, but it will only operate at the bus speed listed for the computer - not the RAM. That computer was listed to run the PC2100 memory.

edit: Part II... My preference is to always match the RAM.

Edited by rigel, 22 September 2009 - 10:01 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Rockwells

Rockwells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

rigel,

Thank you for your reply. So pretty much the best for that computer would be the PC2100-266MHz and maybe the PC2700-333MHz? The only difference is pretty much the speed of the the chips, I'm trying to max out the RAM at 2G, it's all that it'll hold. My goal is putting 2x1G in the computer.

Would anyone by chance know the BUS speed of this computer? Is there a way to change it? If so, how?

-I've been around computers pretty much my whole life, but there are still things I just don't know about, lol. I guess that's what you get with a Gear Head slash Computer Dude. Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:34 AM

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quicksp.../11349_div.HTML

Bus speed seems to depend on which model you have...scroll down to Pentium 4 processors.

IMO, the best way to upgrade a processor...is to buy a motherboard bundle (CPU and board) and switch out. But...your case may provide limitations for doing such with this system, along with your PSU.

Louis

#5 Rockwells

Rockwells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

I now know that a PC-2100@266MHz & PC2700@333MHz will work in this Compaq. Would a PC-3200@400MHz make any difference in performance or other wise damage anything in my computer? Also, is there a higher MHz that I can use to pretty much max it out at?

Thank you for your help!!!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

As I understand it...

The motherboard bus speed/CPU are your limiting factors...when assessing whether any benefit can be obtained...by running RAM which has a speed of whatever.

The system...remember, all parts work together...cannot perform better than it's slowest contributor....whether that is motherboard bus speed, CPU, or RAM module.

That Compaq chart indicates that the max bus speed will be 333 on that particular motherboard. The only way to change that (increase it, I mean) is to replace that board with a different board having different capabilities.

The one exception would be overclocking...but oveclocking carries its own inherent risks and I don't think it's to be recommended to anyone.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

Putting PC3200 in a system that runs routinely at a lesser speed....would just have the system running at the same speed with RAM modules having unused potentials. If the clock/system is running at 333, it matters not if the RAM can run at 400.

The major reason that some of us have run faster RAM in a system...has to do with the price differential and availability.

I ran PC2700 in a PC2100 system...because PC2700 cost less at the time and would not harm the system.

The RAM speed is controlled by the motherboard/CPU...it's not running as fast as it can, it works within the confines of the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users