Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card requirements...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

I recently bought a new computer, and it comes pre-installed with 3GB RAM, AMD Athlon X2 4450e (2.3 GHz), and a integrated chipset (nVidia GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430, 128 MB Dedicated, 1338 MB Total). Since i'm starting to play some more serious games (those that require a 6600+ and 256 MB RAM..), I am considering to replace my chipset with a graphics card. However, the Radeon HD 3650 I'm interested in says it requires 300 Watts on the PSU, and I only have 250 W. I don't quite remember what brand the PSU is, but it's Input is 12.6 V and 10 Amps.

Would my motherboard fry if I installed a HD 3650? And if it doesn't, will I have any hardware issues or graphic lag?

And if this is not the card for me, are there any entry level graphics cards that are around $30-$80 that will fit into my computer? I would buy a new PSU but I want to make sure I have no options on video cards before I go ahead with that option.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Anyone know anything about this subject?

#3 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

Hi,

First you need to check that your mother board support that graphic card and if you have a 250 W PSU(Power Supply Unit), and you want to upgrade to that kind of graphic card, you should upgrade the PSU for sure. A 650W PSU should suite your needs.

And no, your Motherboard wont fry if less voltage is supplied. The MB will fry when the PSU will output more than it suppose to.

Post your computer hardware details with the model number of the mother board.

Regards
Delta

Edited by Delta16, 27 September 2009 - 05:15 AM.

#4 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I actually went to the store where I would purchase the graphics card and the technician reassured me that as long as i'm using PCI and it's under 512 MB of RAM, I would have no issues hooking a 300 W into a 250. And as you said before, the mobo would only burn if it was given more then it's supposed to. In this case, it's less to or equal to what it needs (hopefully equal to).

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

if you put a g card that needs 300 watts with a psu that only gives 250 watts
then the computer wont turn on or windows will shut down or restart or when you go into a game the computer will just restart

Edited by starcraftmaster, 27 September 2009 - 09:43 AM.

#6 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

It's a minimum required 300W, and since it draws it off the Mobo, it would still turn on, because most of the time the graphics card will never use ALL of the energy they suggest it will. A study showed that a ATI Radeon HD 3650 uses only 168 W with it's motherboard and a Quad Core. That surely means something, right?

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

you should really go with the requirements
remember that windows vista uses a bit of graphics power when you enable its nice stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users